Our next big thing

Which puts them a whole 12 months ahead of LG. Not so bad in my experience.

2 Likes

Is it difficult to make phones GSM and CDMA? Would love to see future Teracubes have them both.

1 Like

More expensive, unfortunately.

I figured that but I’d be willing to pay a little more for full compatibility. I mean if it adds $100 to the price that doesn’t make sense but if it’s an extra 20 to 40 bucks. It would be worth getting. Having full compatibility is a big thing for alot of people. It’s nice being able to use any network with the phone you’re going to keep for 4 years. I also feel like phones that are GSM and CDMA tend to hold a higher value. So in a sense it could even out.

Since you have said that there will be different series of phones. I hope you make a series of phone that has a good AMOLED screen and a great camera. It would be cool to have a phone that’s focused on sustainably with the content creator in mind.

2 Likes

As per our understanding, GSM and CDMA are what we know as 2G wireless. 2G was different technology for GSM vs CDMA. However after 2G came 3G, 4G and now 5G wireless technologies that are all universal and common to both GSM and CDMA carriers. Hence CDMA vs GSM is becoming more and more a moot point. Most US carriers are in the process of shutting down their 3G while 2G is being used mostly for IoT and other low-throughput stuff. Carriers will only use 4G (and 5G) for smartphone data and calls from here on.

Given all this, it does not make sense to work on CDMA technology especially at added cost and inconvenience.

Now reason for not supporting Verizon is not technology but rather their closed nature. They require certifications and testing that cost 6 figures+. T-Mobile on the other hand is highly BYOD friendly. AT&T is somewhere in between.

8 Likes

That makes a lot of sense. I didn’t know all of that. I thought GSM and CDMA were their own networks all the way up to LTE. I didn’t realize they are mainly there for voice calling on the 2g and 3g networks and are on their way out. Hopefully over the next year or two more carriers will open up. Thanks for the info @Sharad.

4 Likes

With the Teracube 2e having a replaceable battery. A possible idea to kick around would be to sell a charging dock of some kind that an extra battery could charge on without being in the phone. One thing I miss about my old “dumb phone” is I would buy an extra battery and always have it charged incase I needed power and I couldn’t wait to charge.

3 Likes

Will AT&T get certification? That way VoLTE can be used?

1 Like

I’m using my Teracube on At&T

1 Like

Looking into that. They definitely don’t make it easy :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

That is indeed an interesting scenario. We might not have an external charger right of the gate. However we will definitely look into it in the future.

1 Like

Something like this. Heck this one might even work since its universal.

https://www.amazon.com/Onite-Universal-Battery-Charger-High-voltage/dp/B005REEWYY/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=universal+cell+phone+battery+charger&qid=1600462605&sr=8-3

1 Like

Glad you pointed this out. Ordered it right away to test it out :slight_smile::+1:.

2 Likes

Let me know. I’m planning on getting the e2 also when it releases. If it works I’ll get an extra battery and the charger off amazon.

2 Likes

Just chiming in, also on AT&T.

@Sharad I’d like to request a very NICHE thing - please try to have the NFC compatible with Freestyle Libre, per my thread about not being able to use it? Someone else chimed in on that thread; I don’t know what percent 2 is out of your kickstarter base, but surely there are more folks who haven’t spoken up.
/amq

1 Like

Any tech specs? I’m curious how it stacks up to the T1

I also like the recycle option.

1 Like

Just pre-ordered one. Super excited.

Hi @Sean_Hull - I hope you found the info. Posting it here just in case :slight_smile:.

I’m very interested in the 2e, but before I splash out, does it support USB OTG (On The Go)? I have occasionally found it very useful to be able to access a USB memory stick directly from my phone.

Thanks!

1 Like