[ Advanced ] Rooting Teracube One

ok thanks. Just trying to see if rooting can be more compatible, some programs are force-closing or are detecting root (Pokemon Go, not critical for me but one that tests for root)

Having the boot loader unlocked afterward seems like it would be an easy thing to detect.

Titanium Backup closing is more of an issue for me than hiding root.

Iā€™m not using root after the update. Will ask Anthony and Robert in the office who are both using root.

Use Magisk + Magisk Hide to hide root from PokƩmon Go and other apps with issues

1 Like

Pokemon Go seems to be able to detect root anyway.
I just tried re-installing it, Magisk Hide before running, but as soon as it ran it complained. Interestingly, the first time I tried it ran for a minute before complaining.
(I donā€™t need this app, but it seems to detect root very well.)

Titanium Backup prefers root, and some functionality requires it.
It shouldnā€™t be crashing because of root.
This is a program I actually want.

Iā€™m not sure, but Iā€™m wondering if Titanium is having problems because recovery is missing all together, so itā€™s looking for something that isnā€™t there.

Recovery is not missing, the steps to get to it were missing :). @robert has just added the guide to get there.

2 Likes

If your giving the how to, why not ship it rooted?

1 Like

Reason is - not everyone wants root. Infact there many users who would like it locked/secured - to prevent any unwanted/unauthorized system level activity.

1 Like

We are live on XDA now. https://forum.xda-developers.com/u/teracube-smartphone

1 Like

Just thought I want to share with everyone here. I had my phone rooted prior to the V6 software update and I just updated my phone. It revert the phone to be unrooted but all I had to do was to run the root steps again and the phone is rooted once again (and no, it doesnā€™t reset the phone so no concerns there what-so-ever).

If the V6 Software Update is OTA, should you be able to follow Magiskā€™s steps for keeping root during an OTA?

You maybe able to. For me it was just easier if I flash the boot partition again.

Based on my personal experience with other phones, following Magisk steps may not always work and often I would result to boot into TWRP or similar and flash the magisk file again (and flashing the boot partition is a similar step).

1 Like

Hello, I was wondering if itā€™s just me or if everybody is seeing this.
I successfully rooted the phone with Magisk a few weeks ago. It did itā€™s post install task and loaded 20.3. Now I guess there is an update to 20.4.
When I tell it to do the update, it says it has successfully changed the boot partition and it reboots. After the reboot it is however back at 20.3.

Hi, I just tried it myself and you are right. Somehow it didnā€™t update the boot partition upon reboot. I think we may have to release a new bootloader.img with magisk 20.4 installed.

1 Like

Ok folks, thanks to @Sharad I learned a new trick (with most of my other Android phones, I simply run Install/Direct Install and it works, so this is new to me).

Here is what I did to make it work:

1. Grabbed a copy of the original boot.img, placed it in Teracubeā€™s download folder.
  2. Launch Magisk and select Update, follow by Install.
  3. Click Select and Patch a File, and locate the boot.img file in the download folder. Magisk will then patch this file.
  4. Once completed, download the patched boot.img to your computer and repeat the Root steps (from the top of this post).
  5. Once the phone is rebooted, run magisk to verify that it is now updated to 20.4.

PS: I have edited the original post to include the new patched boot.img to save time for everyone.

sorry, but i canā€™t cope with this description. it is nowhere clear when I have to do what and how. can someone could make a detailed youtube description.

a really great community, you donā€™t even get an answer!

Hi, sorry for the late reply. The steps written were derived from all other forums and support websites. It is written in the best of my ability. If there is a particular step that you are stuck on, I am happy to assist.

hi, the instructions do not say when I have to connect the cell phone to the pc. there is also nothing there when I should execute which file, how or with what. there is nothing in there.

Under the Bootloader Unlock section, step 8 is where you need to run the tools on your computer and connect your phone to the PC/computer prior to running the step.

And under the Root section, you are required to connect your phone to the PC/computer before running step 2 and beyond.

PS: Thank you for your feedback. I have updated the steps to include additional steps and clarification regarding connecting your phone to the PC/computer as well as running commands on your PC/computer to perform the steps.