2e right for Me/us? ATT WiFi Calling/Texts, 3G MicroCel, LG Comparison
TL;DR: Skip down to Questions below…
Due to wear & tear, decreasing battery life, and general obsolescence, my wife needs to replace her LG V-20. The Terracube is appealing to me for it’s “right to repair” principle, user-replaceable battery and general sustainability outlook. (I mess around with a PinePhone if that tells you anything; but it’s not my daily driver. I run an Ulefone Armor X8.) Her main tasks for cellphone are voice calling, SMS, taking pictures, streaming music & social media.
Anyway, our situation is a little unique and I’m looking for feedback from folks who might have used Terracube 2e’s in similar scenarios. We live in rural Texas and at best, we get 1 bar of 4G on AT&T networks at the house. I have pretty good broadband DSL internet, and so for calling & texts, we run an AT&T MicroCel which is 3G, but that locks us into AT&T network. (And frankly, with AT&T sunsetting their 3G, I’m not sure how long we’ll be able to use this MicroCel; there seems to be nothing like it left on the market, and I’m not sure you can even get one from AT&T any more.) AT&T sent us a “free” Radiant Core phone which works for calls, text, via WiFi and/or MicroCel. But the device is sub-par (eg. 5MP camera).
We get no signal from T-Mobile, Sprint, or Verizon. I’m a Ting subscriber, but the MicroCel won’t work with Ting. I’d love to get off AT&T, but alas, the MicroCel has us locked in. It could be years before we get 5G, if ever. Yes, Cellular boosters may be an option, but I’m not sure if I might need a 100ft tower, or even what bands, so I’m not willing to take a high-cost chance on something that may not work, or end up being far higher cost than planned.
Questions about the Terracube 2e:
- Has anybody had success using WiFi Calling/Texts on TING?
- Has anybody had success using WiFi Calling/Texts on AT&T?
- Has anybody had success using it on a 3G AT&T MicroCel?
- How does it compare, performance wise, to LG V-20?
- How does it compare, performance-wise, to “ATT Radiant Core” device?
- How does it compare to Ulefone Armor X8 (which doesn’t support WiFi calls/texts on AT&T)?
- How does it compare to Blu G90 Pro (don’t have one, just looking)?
- Any other feedback/cautions about Terracube 2e, given my scenarios?
Here’s some background info I’m working with: