2e - Reason for the massive price hike?

Hi Teracube Team!

I first came across Teracube and the 2e In November or December of last year and was quite interested, but it was sold out at the time. It was always advertised as 200$, with the launch already being months past. Now I find it back in stock, but the price is now 350$ (for me in Europe, in NA apparently 300$). And of course, the hardware is now older and the software lifetime shorter (assuming we’ll see any updates at all). I’d very much like to know: What is the reason for this drastic price increase?

Also, I tried (once back then, twice today) to sign up to the newsletter with different e-mail addresses, none worked - maybe someone needs to look into that. And one more thing: Looking around the website today, I was presented with two different discounts without any particular reason. For me, this is quite off-putting. In my experience, companies throwing around discount codes almost never sell good products at fair prices. Maybe you could just use one fixed, lower “regular” price instead.

Hi @Areotetrahedon - welcome to Teracube forums.

The world of chipset and supply chain has changed drastically since we launched Teracube 2e for the first time. We had to adjust our pricing in every aspect to keep a healthy business model. Regarding software updates, the new units come with Android 11, work for Android 11 on old units is ongoing and both units should see Android 12 together.

Regarding the EU vs US pricing, the US does not have sales tax included in the price (it’s charged on top depending on the US state). On the other hand, the EU requires us to include VAT (20%) in the pricing. Hence the higher price.

I apologize for that experience. We had one coupon that we shared with all pre-release email subscribers as promised ($30 off). Any other promotion is to get the sales going after being out of stock for some time. Please email the support team at support@myteracube.com and they’ll be glad to share the pre-release discount since you had problems signing up for the email.

That’s not good - we will check it right away. Would it be possible for you to PM me a loom video or just share your email address that I can try myself. (private message by clicking my profile icon).

Hi @Sharad ,
thanks for the quick response.

The world of chipset and supply chain has changed drastically since we launched Teracube 2e for the first time. We had to adjust our pricing
That is an understandable explanation, thanks. I don’t think the rest of the smartphone market moved in the same dimension as +50%, but for niche products like the Teracube it’s really hard to find good comparisons.

Regarding the EU vs US pricing, the US does not have sales tax included in the price
Of course, I totally forgot about that.

Please email the support team at support@myteracube.com and they’ll be glad to share the pre-release discount since you had problems signing up for the email.
Thanks for the offer, I will email them when I need it. At the moment, I will have to hold off until Teracube has proven able to solve the update problem.

Would it be possible for you to PM me a loom video or just share your email address that I can try myself.
I’ll send you a PM.

Hi both, sorry to jump in here, I was also caught out by the price hike and understood it could well have been due to the chip ‘crisis’.
However, I also did not get any emails when you had stock back in and so had to check back periodically.
I was speaking with Andy at length after my failed order (had 3 units ordered which couldn’t be processed) and the generous discount he offered went unused.
Now this huge price hike ($150 increase) just pushes this phone away from my budget.
Also, in the back of my mind, the Teracube 3 which has been hinted at by you guys would mean any purchase now of the T2 could see me losing ground on the tech.
I do want to support you guys but do you have any news on the T3 or ways to make the T2 more affordable?

Hi @davejones - we are not working on our next hardware iteration at this point in time (the discussion you might have seen is a community-driven “like to haves”).