Alternative cases

Thanks for the suggestion! I will try it out and let you know.

My new 3d printer will be arriving today will take some time to setup. Plan is to make plastic cases and do a heavy coat of silicone jacket will peel and then clean inside and glue to the plastic case. This will improve impact resistance and allow for button usage. Also should allow for sticking accessories to the hard plastic stands magnets metal plates for magnetic stands. We should also be able to use cell phone wallets like the one for the LG g4 (wife has one old phone) as it used magnets to stay in place is close to same size so will allow easier to implement. This will require testing of course but this is my theory.

3 Likes

I purchased this case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQ6TSWH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The fit problems on it are very similar to what @caretoexplain experienced. You would need to make another hole on top. There are existing button allowances on the right side that work with the power button. Space would have to be carved out or cut out on the left for the volume buttons. The rear camera opening only needs to be trimmed slightly, but the fingerprint reader opening is off significantly.

Hi, all,
For those with printers, the STL Collection has been updated. I’ll link it again here for convenience. Because the old version was apparently very tight, the new version adds 0.5mm clearance to make it a little easier to put on. It comes in three flavors:

1. 1mm added to all button and port holes
  2. 2mm added to all button and port holes
  3. 2mm added to all button and port holes, and a stylish Teracube logo cut out of the back, with the benefit of reducing print time. Unfortunately, I forgot to join or remove the floating parts of the Teracube wordmark, so you’ll be printing a few unnecessary donut holes.

File below:
Teracube STL Collection 2.zip

2 Likes

Glad to hear this seems like a good alternative case! I saw it while searching the other day but wasn’t sure so happy to see it’s working.

So I got the bone case. Amazon Link here
Bone Collection Universal Cell Phone Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0778MNMM1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_A4VwEb5EW438G

So I have a series of photos to share with you guys. They consist of:

1. Bone case + default Teracube case
  2. Bare Teracube + bone case
  3. Modified spidgen case + bone case

The first set of photos are the bone case + default Teracube case. First of all fits great, but expect a partial cut off at the top of the screen but it does protect the phones screen.

The second set of photos are bare Teracube (w/o default case)

The third set of photos is the modified Spidgen case I worked on earlier this week.

I noticed when laying the bone case the case does not lay flat on this back. The logo on the back is removable so if you want to lay the case flat you have that option. This link also includes bonus photos of what the case looks like on its own.

My final consensus is that the bone case works best with the teracube case. Without the case the buttons are too sensitive and could easily be pressed accidentally.

3 Likes

I ordered one too to try. It seems to work as you stated.
It feels a bit weird to me to have it be even bigger at top adn bottom, but it does seem to protect.

It might drive me nuts that it covers the battery notification (among others)
Holes would need to be cut for the top microphone, and for the headphone jack.

I might have to cut the inside curves a little more open at the top, to expose the notifications. It may cause the case to tear when one stretches it onto the phone though – if anybody else modifies theirs, please post results!

1 Like

I think it’s kind of risky to trim the bone case considering how doing so could ruin the integrity of the case. I would say if you are going to use the headphone jack just remove the bone case. The bottom of the phone is a has one large microphone and the bottom right side is a speaker. I use AccuBattery to give me the battery percentage. I have a screenshot to show you what I mean. Look at the top center left.
Google Photos

I agree somewhat on cutting the inside curves to show more screen, but I think holes in the top edge wouldn’t affect it much, since that area doesn’t stretch much.

I may still try to trim it a little, worst case is that I mess up a rubber case.
EDIT: The clearance I want to cut is less than the case has on the back for the camera.

1 Like

I thought about it. So I did the trim. Here’s a pic. https://photos.app.goo.gl/85a1rDu78FxyReoCA

1 Like

I also purchased the Bone case, here are my notes:

• I chose the teal case and it is semi-translucent, so even though it covers the corners of the screen I can still see everything through the case material.

• I decided to cut the holes in the top of the case. I slipped it on over the default case, used a fine point sharpie to define where the holes needed to be and used a small pair of sharp scissors to remove those areas. Even with both cases on my headphone fits into the jack with no problem.

• For those worried about protecting the rear camera area, the addition of the Bone case over the default case may be just what you are looking for.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention, like @caretoexplain I found that the addition of the Bone case made the side keys less sensitive, which for me was a welcome improvement. I had been accidentally adjusting the volume nearly every time I handled the phone.

3 Likes

I just wanted to let you all know that Hand and Hide is now offering custom-fitted cases for the Teracube. We strongly support the core values of Teracube and we feel our cases share some of those values. You can see more here: https://www.handandhide.com/products/teracube-phone-custom-phone-wallet

Thanks!

Jeff (owner)

5 Likes

Ok so once I feel better this will become my first project on my quest to design a case. I hope to renew my hobby licence for fusion 360 I started two years ago but stopped as no PC to take with me out of town and two days a week at home well too many other things to do. Things that have changed. PC to take out of town plus 3d printer.

The long term project any one else wanting to try awesome

5 Likes

So is this a thing that we’re going to have to make our own phone cases because there isn’t a satisfactory alternative (and in the delay have broken phones)?

It seems that if we’re continually sending in broken phones for $39 to get replaced with a phone, it’s not going to be a profitable and lasting phone - especially in its endeavors of 4 years.

1 Like

Hi @Liz - I understand your concern and thank you for being patient while we replaced your broken phone. I can assure you that we are actively looking for a more protective case option (although it is not straightforward).

In the meantime, we will suggest to install a tempered glass screen protector. A tempered glass protector will take more of a drop impact and has a higher chance of protecting the screen. There is one included in the box and there are some compatible ones mentioned in this thread :

Update : You could also look at this case

1 Like

Ok sorry been gone for a while was very sick. Was tested for COVID19 was negative but something hit me badly a second time so

In regards to cases. I have gotten my subscription back on fusion 360 and have been working on a project to develop my skills this last week while in quarantine. I hope to complete that project in next few days and then will start the new project of making the above case or something like it. My 3d printer is not setup yet and may not be for a while but will post links to my designs once completed for those of you with printers to trial them. Will try and update as I work on it post screen shots etc. As still learning on fusion 360 and this is potential a complicated design it may take a while. I may make a simpler design for the sort term. My designs will also be posted to thingiverse eventually.

All the best to everyone.

Stay safe.
Dylan

1 Like

Hi,
I just found out that the the Aliexpress website has our Teracube phone case.
I just ordered it, and it might arrive in one month.
Here is the link for those who wanna buy a case while waiting for the plastic or rubber case

5 Likes

Thanks! I almost ordered one until I realized that the phone attaches to the case with a sticky, glue strip. I would be to concerned that the strip would lose grip and the phone would soon be on the floor when you open the case. I saw a few other offers for Teracube cases, but all use the same design. I may still order one to play around with to find a better way to attach the phone. I like that it is a wallet style case.

I wondered how it attached!
My old Samsung Galaxy had a flip case, which attached by replacing the back (and the case containing another back permanently glued down)