Teracube One Android 10 updates

I sell new Subaru’s. This would be awesome to demo/use.

2 Likes

Can’t wait for the Android 10 release for the teracube. Will the update have Google camera?

3 Likes

Google camera is Google’s proprietary camera app. What you see around are hack/ports that we can not include by default in our Android. You can always install them from other sources :slight_smile:.

4 Likes

Ah! Ok thanks for clarifying.

Is there any word on Custom ROM support? I see that mentioned above here. I’d love to get my Teracube on Lineage or /e/.

1 Like

If you like, you can install Lineage GSI on Teracube. You’ll be surprised by how usable it is. Many custom ROMs are coming as GSIs these days. The usual caveats apply - for example, VoLTE will not work.

2 Likes

Update (Sept 17):

Hi All,

We are making steady progress towards Android 10. Have obtained sources from ODM/Mtk and have setup our internal repositories just like standard Android repos are. The SW team is now busy integrating Android 10 AOSP+Mtk distro on top of our sources. Once this part is complete, we will have to do complete internal testing (CTS+VTS+GTS) and then submit for Google certification.

Hoping to have an alpha Android 10 build out soon.

7 Likes

Ooh, great to hear! Thanks so much!

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I just updated to the latest September security patches for the lineageos GSI and it’s still working fine for me as a daily driver. No VoLTE is the biggest drawback, as cell signal is spotty (read: awful) at my place, but otherwise it’s working great!

5 Likes

Will be on track for a Sept / Oct Android 10 release?

Checking on it - should have an update soon.

3 Likes

The sooner the better.
And hopefully this will solve the bugs that we see with the current operating system.

1 Like

Update: The team is able to boot a alpha Android 10 build on Teracube One (T1). They are working on IMS (VoLTE). If all stars line up, we could have an alpha build available to everyone for testing within 1-2 weeks.

6 Likes

For the new 2e, will Teracube retain ownership of the sourcecode from Mediatek?

2 Likes

Great question. The short answer is yes. After the huge lesson learned from Teracube One, we definitely don’t want to fall for the same mistake again moving forward.

7 Likes

This is very encouraging to read!

I have preordered the 2e before reading that there is no kernel source for the One, so I hope that with the sources community developers will be able to keep the device up to date even after official support is gone.

I’m looking forward to getting my device as soon as possible :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I hope is going to be any Android update support. It was promised Android 10 to be available on Teracube One on Spring and we are in the middle of Fall and we are still waiting for it. Android 11 has been already released. The good about Teracube was the 4 years support for Android updates so the phone doesn’t ger outdated but I am very, very dissapointed, and it’s even worse since the company has started working on the new device.

1 Like

Covid kind of took the whole world by surprise, and has had a large number of knock-on impacts beyond simple supply-chain level issues. As Teracube have noted prior, their software staff and contacts at MediaTek were set back by this global event.

Have patience. I don’t believe we have any reason to doubt their resolve to give updates as promised.

2 Likes

What do you think will last more… Covid-19 or waiting for Android 10 Update? When are we going to have all our issues fixed? How long do we have to wait? You cannot ask for patience when they are putting more effort on releasing a new device without giving support to the existing customers. That’s not fair because the customers who supported Teracube One are the ones who trusted on the company before anyone else. Without us there is no Teracube. Think about it.

1 Like

I mean this is a small, very new company and we have been in a worldwide pandemic February. They’ve been very good about communicating with us and have given numerous updates regarding the delays they are facing. I don’t know what more you expect from them.

5 Likes