Teracube One Android 10 updates

I wouldn’t mind testing it and reporting any bugs, only if it was OTA, as I don’t want to start from scratch.

1 Like

They’ll likely have an OTA-compatible zip during beta, like with previous builds.

2 Likes

Make sure you’re using a Fi SIM and put it in. That’s how I got mine up and running.

Hi Anthony,

Any news on A10 beta or final release? Thanks
Pedro

Will this happen in 2020??? That is the real question. Or by Spring 2020, was Spring 2021 what was really meant. I sure hope 11 is on the heals of 10 as we are getting pretty far behind considering 12 release dates are starting to be rumored. Sorry I am just growing more impatient

Here are the updates since our 1st Alpha release:

1. We have run executed internal CTS (Google) test runs. Currently fixing reported bugs.
    1.1 Internal CTS test runs will allow us to pass Google 3rd party lab testing smoothly.
  2. LED notifications have been fixed.
  3. Selfie camera brightness issue fixed.
  4. Should release Alpha2 build within 1-2 weeks.

Next steps
Fixing the CTS issues may take some time as our dev team will be taking time off during the holidays. We will report back once we have more progress.

7 Likes

Thanks for the update! Always nice to hear what’s happening at Teracube. :blush:

I appreciate that you guys are taking your time with this. I’d rather a bug-free Android 10 as opposed to a rushed software upgrade!

Besides, it’s not like Android 9 is detrimental to my health at the moment. I’ve got plenty of other things to worry about than upgrading my phone’s version. :stuck_out_tongue:

Happy holidays to the whole Teracube team! It’s been a rough year for all of us, so I hope you can take a little breather before tackling your next challenges. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

The only thing I’ve noticed on the TeraCube Android 9 release that I “need” is that Google Workplace Profiles are broken on my device, but they work brilliantly under even the Android 10 Alpha.

If nothing else, it’ll be great to have access to my work e-mail from a device and not just a browser since I’m remote-work now.

It’d be even better if my workplace could turn that off, but apparently Google is enforcing it on enterprise Google Apps licensees now, for “security”, I’m sure :roll_eyes:

Android 10 Alpha runs pretty darn smooth, so that’s exciting! Even more exciting is that the Android 11 GSI also worked great. I think our TeraCubes have a long, useful life ahead of them yet! Once someone rolls a GSI for Android 12, I’ll give that a shot as well. I imagine it’ll also work quite well on our hardware.

4 Likes

Almost Feb…

1 Like

Sorry about the vacuum. Fixing CTS issues is taking much longer than we anticipated. I’ll get a detailed update from the Dev team and post within 1-2 days.

4 Likes

:eyes:

Any news is good news!

3 Likes

Once my other phone arrives I will be happy to beta/alpha test one on or the other. I need one phone that I know works normally due to work and family. Will update once it arrives and ask for access to the beta/alpha software.

Any news that detailed update?

1 Like

We have been testing internal Alpha builds. Here is the latest Alpha9 build with the following fixes:

Alpha - 9 (user build) | Instructions to download/install available here.

Full changelog from Alpha 1:

• Apply security patches upto January 2021 bulletin
  • Switch to “user” builds
  • Enforce SELinux
  • Update to a new kernel base
  • Lots of fixes for CTS r6
  • Multiple UI/UX improvements
    • Add icon for VoLTE
    • Fix some jank in Launcher, improve UI
    • New boot animation
    • Make all icons round by default
    • Improve dark mode colors
    • Improve several SystemUI default design elements
  • Update default APN configuration
  • Fix front camera inconsistent lighting
  • Fix inconsistent fingerprint unlock when dozing
  • Fix issues with dm-verity
  • Fix boot-up on locked bootloader
  • Fix an issue with 1080p60 YouTube videos lagging
  • Minor fixes to Bluetooth audio
  • Fix notification LED
  • Remove DuraSpeed
  • Various memory and performance fixes

Outstanding Issues

• Keystore issue that is forcing a data reset requirement for every upgrade
  • 3 more CTS issues left
  • Need to run VTS and GTS tests.

Next Steps

• Fix the keystore issue
  • Finish all the CTS, GTS and VTS tests
  • Apply for GMS certification.
5 Likes

Sounds to me like we aren’t that far away now :grinning: Thanks for the detail and context.

3 Likes

You’re making great progress. Any timeline for full release and work starting on 11? Thanks.

1 Like

At this point, we are refraining from giving any timelines (based on what has transpired so far). We are close to finishing up the loose ends to submit the build for GMS certification. However, sometimes random things can get stuck. Will keep everyone posted.

5 Likes

The truth is your developers are now divided between one and 2e and I can’t imagine one being the priority as your not selling it anymore.

I like the phone, but it seems that the 3 years of support are, simply, not going to happen, or at least in any kind of timely fashion. I’m sorely disappointed.

It was a good phone but for some reason you came out with another phone that directly competed with it, and of course you had to quit selling one.

From the kickstarter page:
Android 9 Pie (Android 10 update will be available in Spring 2020)

2 Likes

Work between similar SOCs can be shared, and it isn’t a zero-sum game. There is a division, sure, but it isn’t a hard divide.

Nah, not even a little. They’re completely different price-points and market segmentation.

A little leeway for being green, and a lot of leeway for not anticipating a global pandemic and a ton of socio-political unrest that impacted supply chains and support teams world-wide. Factor in major carriers moving quickly to reshape their infrastructure, and we hit some pretty big ruhroh moments.

It is frustrating, sure, but I trust Sharad and his team will deliver. Eventually.

Please bear in mind that I’m directly impacted by the delays of Android 10 in material ways, as well. I can’t use my device for work. At all. So trust that I have a vested interest in keeping them accountable to their update promise.

5 Likes

Hi @doc1623 - I understand your concern. I want to assure you that launching Teracube 2e has not digressed our software team from Teracube one. Infact launching the new phone was a blessing in disguise. We got the Android 10 code base to work with for Teracube one as well.

I know we are lagging behind from our original promise of Teracube one-Android 10. However, we have grown leaps and bounds as a startup over last year or so. The software team is able to push out test builds much faster and have much better control on the process than before. And we are moving towards maintaining the same code base so that the number of phones does not matter - they will use the same software.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

8 Likes