Android 12 on Teracube One

Does anyone know what is the current timeline on making a build on Android 12? I know right now it’s in beta but I would like to know, when it does come out will you guys skip 11 and go to 12?

5 Likes

This thing was discussed internally - whether we can skip Android 11. The devs see Android 11 as a stepping block which is necessary for 12 so we will have to go via 11. The current timeline puts Android 11 Beta to be 3-4 months out.

8 Likes

Wow sign me up for the beta.

3 Likes

I am thinking of giving my T1 to someone who could use a phone. It seems like development for T1 updates and Android 11 has been abandoned. Could we have an update on the status as the last message sounded like some type of Beta was expected last November?

Hi @Debra - T1 A12 development is behind schedule. The good thing is that T2e build that we just released as Beta is based on our common unified code for T1 and T2e. So all the bug fixes and improvements we are making will be applicable to T1 as well. I hesitate in giving a timeline. However, T1 A12 Beta will be the next thing after releasing the T2e A11 stable build.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply @Sharad , I guess my T1 just stays as a backup and work app phone on my desk. It is disappointing that T2 development takes precedence over the phone that got you started but I knew the risks when I supported Teracube on Kickstarter.

1 Like

I think the importance of this might be missed by folks. This is massive, for all of us. This will tighten up time between releases significantly, and allow you and your team to iterate new features and fixes much faster.

By not having to have completely separate device trees and source code for each model (three at least by my current count), the maintenance burden for TeraCube is massively reduced. Same goes for testing and deployment.

2 Likes

With the recent release of 11.0.3 and aligning of both 2E codebases, is the beta release of 11 on the unified baseimage something we will see this quarter?

1 Like

+1 on @Saijin_Naib’s question :slightly_smiling_face:

My T1 is on security update 2021-04-05, so I’m starting to worry about my personal privacy and such by continuing to use it as my main device. Just being transparent, most likely giving information that is already known, though. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Our original ODM for T1 has gone under (and their Google license as well - “MADA”). So T1 builds from here on will not be Google certified (they will work like custom ROMs).

We are currently working on A12 for T2e. Once that is done, we will resume work on our internal A12 build for T1. Can’t give timelines yet though.

2 Likes

Is there any chance Murena and/or /e/ can help TeraCube make the One officially supported like the 2e targets are? If I’m going to be running a non-certified build, I might as well get rid of Google as much as possible at the same time, you know?

1 Like

That is something we could look into once we deem Android 12 to be stable, which it almost is. After that, we could shift focus on LineageOS on both targets, T2e and T1, which the source code could be used by Murena.

2 Likes

What does this mean.

Our original ODM for T1 has gone under (and their Google license as well - “MADA”). So T1 builds from here on will not be Google certified (they will work like custom ROMs

How will this affect updates for the T1? Will it be secure? Should we be using it?

And this is about Android 12 did 11 even come out for T1

ODMs are companies that design, manufacture, and support a whitelabel product from inception to end of life. Another company then puts their brand logo on it. The brand may also customize which services they will handle themselves as oppose to outsourcing. For example, the brand may choose to take over software development on top of the generic hardware. This is very common in the smartphone and electronics industry.

It means Teracube contracted a Chinese company to not only manufacture but also design the phone and wrote the original software for it. And now that unnamed company is allegedly bankrupt, and Teracube (the company) cannot come up with any more certified updates for the phone.

A certified update means it would pass all Google requirements to be listed as compatible with Google Play services, passes Skynet (required by some banking apps), and is required for L1 (play HD media in apps like Netflix).

An uncertified update (like a custom ROM) means you do not get to use banking apps or play HD media, and Google Play store may stop working at any time. Or you can install software that fools Google Play into thinking the ROM is compliant, playing cat and mouse with them.

No. And as explained above, it never will officially.

1 Like

So the question for Terecube Team, can you do anything about this? This is not what was sold with the 4 years of warranty and updates. What is the Terecube solution for fixing this? New devices with working certification?

Will the warranty cover the apps and Google Services not working on it?

1 Like

Hi @CKSB , Apps & Play store will continue to work on 10.0.2 and older software updates of Teracube One. Regarding updates, the team is working on them and you might see some official announcement regarding that as soon as it’s ready.

Regards,
Aryan

1 Like

So what does this mean for T3 as I am assuming this company was the one you were working with towards that. The higher end version of the T2e. Is it possible to tie the t2 with them for certified version of Android at least one last update to android 12? Also the xiaomi software allows for call recording and such would be cool if could import that to the T2 and piggy back off them if possible?

Also does this affect the T2e and if not why, as it sounded like the update for Android 12 for both of them were being combined somehow also the new kids phone is that being affected as well or were you aware of potential problems and switched the ODM supplier when going to the T2e?

I have been a major supporter and I love my teracube phones I bought 3 T1’s and a T2e but I am considering moving on to a Doogee s98.

1 Like

T1 and T2e certification process is different since their ODM are different. T2e certification will continue for Android 12.

1 Like

Any updates on T1 and T2E OS updates?

This has been a long standing issue @Sharad .

3 Likes