[Beta 2] Android 13 for Teracube 2e

I tried SPFlash and had no luck. The tool wouldn’t recognize my phone regardless of how many ways I tried it. Ended up just doing the reset option within the OS and that reinstalled with 13 as the default. But I’m still having issues. Can’t make or receive calls. Can’t run the camera app. Some internet-based apps such as FB appear to work OK, but I can’t be certain of the exact scope.

Unfortunately I need a working phone so I am going to try again to reset to 11 and work my way from there.

1 Like

And as I type this I am still waiting for the program to recognize that my phone has been powered off and plugged in via USB for the last 2 and a half minutes.

As much as it pains me to say, I’m very close to writing this up as a lost cause and going crawling back to my carrier for a new phone. I don’t mind doing some of my own issue research / resolution, but I’m far from a developer, and some of this stuff is just plain over my head.

2 Likes

You can always set up a warranty replacement. The phone sounds like it isn’t working properly, as we have not noted all of these issues at once on a single device.

Reach out to support@myteracube.com so they can help you get started.

Aw man :frowning: I wonder why that is??

Presumably some component is only partially available. Live Wallpaper shows as an option in the wallpaper selector, but provides a less useful error when I try to switch to it from there, regardless of which Live Wallpaper I try to activate. When switching from inside an app with Live Wallpaper support, I get the more descriptive error.
The relevant logcat would probably be even more useful, but only if they aren’t able to replicate it easily themselves. If it’s a difference between Emerald and Zirconia, or even based on the specific updates and apps installed.

1 Like

On two of my clean test devices (Emerald and Zirconia) the behavior is consistent.

1 Like

Good to know. By behavior is consistent, do you mean that live wallpaper works or that it fails to apply as well?

If you’re saying it works for you, not sure why my Zirconia is sad. There’s no live wallpaper in my Google default picker through Settings, Nova Launcher (my current launcher, both 7 and 8) has the Nova Live Wallpaper selector that won’t confirm, and Niagra and Quickstep both fail to show any live wallpaper options.

@Sharad @Saijin_Naib please help.

Phone is now laggy and unstable.

1 Like

If you just upgraded, give the phone a day or so to settle in and run any migration and maintenance it needs to in the background.

If it’s still not right, you can try a factory reset from within Android.

1 Like

Hi teracube and dev team,

I just upgraded from 12.1 to 13 beta2. It all went smoothly and without any issues (great!). And 13 seems to run great, very snappy, plus current security updates. Nothing to complain about, like it should be!

Just wanted to thank you guys for the hard work to make Android 13 possible and for keeping this device alive!!!

Have you a funding website or a way to donate a couple of € to you?

Kind regards,
A happy customer

6 Likes

The live wallpaper issue is fixed and will be part of the next build :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

Thanks! Any idea if we can get unlocked bootloader to not hang for 2 full minutes?

And the other random bit which I think has been alluded but not specifically mentioned, in Beta 2 any App Not Responding (ANR) can only be terminated by allowing it to close the application. Telling it to wait will never recover. This was especially problematic for FF7 Ever Crisis which finally fixed the bug today that caused frequent ANRs with a new update, but also happens for the System process itself sometimes, or for some of the background services while the phone is coming up from a restart. Ideally, ANR could resolve without the forcible termination.

My assumption is that many of the complaints about slow/hangs are people who are waiting for the ANR to resolve, not realizing that it won’t.

3 Likes

Checking with Devs on this

2 Likes

Can the OP be updates to reflect what doesn’t work right now with this beta 2 version? seems like the issues are: Not certified (uncertain how this affects apps) and also Live wallpapers don’t function (but the next build would fix this issue).
I’d like to get an idea of what real issues I’ll encounter if I try to upgrade to Android 13, so that I can decide if I should upgrade. I’m on the last certified version (I think android 10).
Thanks

1 Like

Certified builds have extra an extra classification from Google that some apps rely upon to determine whether or not their app can be used on the device.

So, for instance, some banking apps may not download, or some media apps like Netflix or Disney+.

In the vast majority of cases, it isn’t that much of an impact, but if an app you rely upon requires certified builds it can be frustrating.

4 Likes

Android 11 is certified. Depending on whether you need live wallpaper, either go with 11.0.3 (for live) or 11.0.4 (for better patches), but I’d definitely recommend 11 over 10 for those preferring a certified build before 13 is complete.

Because I still haven’t completely given up on someday completing the main story in Another Eden, which requires a certified device, I need to remain certified for that as well as Google Pay/Wallet tap-to-pay. Note that Google changed some of their security requirements and despite being certified, you need to also to have all of the current Google Play Store updates installed for mobile payments.

3 Likes

Got this running on my ol’ Zirconia. I’d been running /e/ so I did the auto spflash back to stock A10 and then ran this update. Google setup errored out on the first try, so I had to restart (which took for-ev-er) and then was able to sign in. Seems to be running ok so far.

4 Likes

Hello, I updated from A13 beta 1 on my Zirconia2020. I had an issue with bootup time on beta 1 (a few minutes or so). However that issue remained with beta 2 so decided to roll back to A10 using the automated flash install , then restored all my backup from google, and then repeated the update to A13 beta 2. This fixed the bootup issue and everything looked good for a couple of hours, but then I got a fatal error screen. So then I reset to factory defaults (i.e. chose that option), then reflashed A10 again as before. This time I restored all my settings from google backup apart from any of my backed up apps. Then I carried out the update to beta 2. I haven’t had a fatal error again after several hours of usage, so that is promising.

One thing, the battery seems to take longer to charge than before but I might be misremembering that!

All in all the beta 2 version is excellent. The camera especially is a very noticeable improvement.

2 Likes

Based on what has been provided, a third beta would be likely before the certified version is released, to at least address the known issue regarding live wallpaper and to see what else might be problematic. They are also looking into one or both of the issues where any ANR never releases and requires force-close on the app/component, or having an unlocked bootloader causes pausing for an additional two minutes on every reboot.

Personally, I’ll be happy to have something as stable and fully-featured as possible, rather than pushed out the door known-broken.

4 Likes

Yes and no. My prior three Samsung and LG phones both got official updates for 6-12 months and then the promised/announced updates were pulled and any further support or updates became XDA unofficial only.

While Teracube hasn’t officially released their stable Android 13 yet, as it’s still polishing, it’s beaten both of the big phone companies for continuing to work on releasing updates. Until they announce that they’re done and any further updates are /e/ or XDA only, I have better personal feelings toward them than my prior hardware manufacturers.

And as noted just above, if you just want something officially tagged as stable and more recently updated, the /e/OS builds are available as well. Not helpful if your goals require the Play Store, but if you’re more interested in security patches, it’s an option.