Closing apps works very differently from what I am used to

I have been an Android user since 2011, from version 1.something to my latest phone with Android 8. When I tap the square icon at the bottom of the screen, I am accustomed to seeing the currently active app take on a diminished appearance with a prominent X in the upper right corner. Tapping on the X then kills the app and it goes away. I am accustomed to using this mechanism to manage open apps on the phone so that not too many stack up running in the background.

With the Teracube, tapping on the square icon at the bottom of the screen causes the currently active app become inactive, but no X appears, and I don’t know how to kill the apps I no longer want to be running. I think this situation must be controlled by some settings, but I don’t know which.

I would like to set my new phone to behave the way my older phones behaved with respect to killing running apps. Can anyone help?

Apps can be closed in this view by dragging them towards the top of the screen. I’m not sure when the switch happened from ‘x to close’ to ‘drag to close’, but I know it’s not specific to teracube, as it worked this way on my previous phone as well.

I don’t know if you can revert it to the old style, but I hope this information helps.

1 Like

Well, who would have thought of that? I never heard of that mode of operation. The Teracube is at Android 9, and I had Android 8.1 on my previous Nexus 6P phone. When did the app-closing mode change?

I can likely learn to live with the new mode. I was upset before because I did not know how to close apps at all. But if anyone knows if the mode can be changed back to the ‘x to close’ mode, I would like to know how.

I’m pretty sure Android 10 implemented this change. But many hardware manufacturers have ported the Android 10 recent apps behavior to Android 10. My cheap Huawei phone did this until I disabled some system apps via the Android Debugging Bridge and got back the old touch the ‘X’ or swipe left or right to close

1 Like