Couple of issues with new phone

I just got my sons new phone set up yesterday. I blocked google play store and disabled google altogether. It still shows that play store is blocked, but for some reason in the middle of night I’m getting notifications that he’s installed new apps, google being one of them. I’m not sure if the phone automatically re-enabled google, or if he was able to do that himself?

On the parent app, it shows zero app use information. For example, i know he’s been on google earth, but my app says zero launches and 0 minutes spent on google earth (and all other apps say 0) Its almost like the phone and my parent app aren’t communicating all info. I am able to send his phone commands but its not providing me with any info.

I have hit refresh about 100 times, to no avail. Please help!

1 Like

Welcome!

Sorry for the trouble.

For this:

This might be the Play Store and Google Mobile Services auto-updating installed apps in the background, without his usage. This is normal behavior for Android.

Are you able to confirm that no actually new apps were installed, but instead just new versions were installed?

Are you able to provide the Parent App version? It will be on the top right of the screen.

Hi Saijin!

After further investigation i learned that settings were not blocked and he changed his keyboard to gboard and took some screenshots, those actions i guess prompted the app to notify me that google and files had been installed (i had them disabled). I got that resolved so nothing further needs to be done there.

V1.4.1+18(production release) is the version of the parental app i am using. On his phone it says hes launched setting 241 times, but on my app it still shows 0, as well as all the other usage data for his other apps, they all show 0. I can block and unblock things, so its communicating with his phone. It does frequently just say " 's Phone " omitting his name on my app, and when it does that if i click on anything it will give me an error to log out and back in. Hope that info helps narrow down the problem.

Thanks so much for your help!

2 Likes

I can confirm the behavior with my Parent phone not showing app launch counts, but the Child phone keeping track of them.

Without sharing the name, does the name of the Child have any non-ASCII (Standard American English [think typewriter/keyboard letters and numbers only]) characters, spaces, symbols, or accents/diacritics?

Thanks for sharing this, and I’m upstreaming it currently.

The name is composed of normal characters, nothing fancy.

Just for clarification, the parent app should be keeping track of the launches as well as the childs phone, correct? I just wanted to make sure i understand correctly. Thank you so much for your help!

1 Like

Hi @TiaRee - The Parent app does not show the stats of the number of launches or app time used as of now. This is a planned feature that should roll out in the next 6-8 months.

1 Like

I have reported this to the Dev team. The title showing as 's phone might be a refresh issue. Going back to the main dashboard and coming back inside to your child’s profile should fix the title.

1 Like

I have tried that, as well as logging back in. I made a short video showing how the stats are zero before a d after going to the dash board, then refreshing, then logging out and back in. I used a silly picture of my dog to block any information.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the video. My bad - I should have been more clear in my earlier responses:

Issue #1: Stats are zero – This is a future planned feature that should roll out in the next 6-8 months. You will continue to see 0s for now.

Issue #2: Title shows as 's phone omitting child’s name – This is a refresh issue. I have reported it to Devs. Going back to the main dashboard and coming back inside to your child’s profile should fix the title.

1 Like

Ok i understand now! Then it appears everything is working as its supposed to for the time being! Thank you so much for all the help!

2 Likes