Fluctuating volume during voip call (/e/ OS)

During a VoIP call, the volume (the audio I hear, not the volume bar) keeps going up and down. This strange phenomenon is most noticeable when the android volume bar is under ~3/4 from maximum. The variation diminishes when I set the volume bar to maximum.

I tested using another phone than Teracube 2e (Moto E5 Play). On the Moto, I do not have that fluctuating volume problem. Both phones were tested using the same internet connection. It is not an internet connection problem.

I tested using different VoIP softphones (Linphone, Jami). They both have this issue in Teracube 2e. It is not a softphones specific problem.

Here is what I did to reproduce the problem on Teracube:

Test 1

1. Do: Open Linphone
  2. Do: Call echo test, (voip.ms is 4443)
  3. Do: Set android volume to maximum with the hardware buttons
  4. Do: Wait for the recorded voice to finish spelling the instructions if any
  5. Do: Say AAAAAAAAA for as long as you can.
  6. Result: The AAAAA is echoed back clearly audible with minimal clipping but very acceptable

Test 2

1. Do: Open Linphone
  2. Do: Call echo test, (voip.ms is 4443)
  3. Do: Set android volume to between 1/2 and 3/4 with the hardware buttons
  4. Do: Wait for the recorded voice to finish spelling the instructions if any
  5. Do: Say AAAAAAAAA for as long as you can.
  6. Result: The AAAAAAAA is echoed back clearly audible for 2-3 seconds and then the volume (auditory) of the AAAAAAA becomes very low.
  7. Do: Stop saying AAAAAAAA.
  8. Do: Say AAAAAAAAA for as long as you can.
  9. Result: The AAAAAAAA is echoed back clearly audible for 2-3 seconds and then the volume (auditory) of the AAAAAAA becomes very low.

What should I do to fix the fluctuating volume?

Hi @user1 - welcome to Teracube forums. I have asked the Devs to take a look. I also saw your post on the /e/ forums. Just to confirm - is the issue happening only on /e/ build or is it happening on Teracube stock firmware as well?

Hello Sharad. My Teracube is bought with e/OS/ preinstalled. I only tested on e/OS/. I am not tech savvy enough to flash the stock firmware and back to e/OS/ to do the test.

I posted here on community.myteracube.com to see if someone with the stock firmware have the same issue.

1 Like