My unicorn 🦄 Teracube phone

I’m super happy with my 2e and I think there’s not a better phone out there for the money. What I’d like to see is a higher spec version with the same features as the 2E as far as removable battery, dual sim and SD card slot.
Wishlist:
Faster GPU and CPU
Higher res screen but can stay LCD to keep costs in check.
Better camera and sensor.

I’d happily pay $100 or more to have this. I know it’s a new company and they have priorities and demands just getting the 2e out there, but in the future I think there is a market for this type of phone. As long as the company keeps growing & advancing, I’m going to stay a customer.

9 Likes

For a more improved Camera experience on 2e try Open Camera and enable camera2.api it will improve camera experience vs stock ap.

3 Likes

i agree if there was a indiegogo for a higher spec model with like 8gb ram and a snapdragon or similar it would be something id be interested for me and my husbands phones. we may try the 2e out ourselves but i know he wants the higher specs on his phones for sure.

4 Likes

I’m using that camera app right now. It definitely improves the photos but falls short of my iPhone SE2020. To be expected considering it was only a third of the cost of the SE. That’s why I’m willing to pay more for a better screen, camera, GPU & CPU. I know Teracube is a startup company, but I think it’s good to get it out there for the future that there are a lot of people who want a durable, flexible & affordable phone without too many compromises.

1 Like

Well on the plus; I can imagine that eventually we might have a phone where you choose the frame and modules to build the phone you want.

3 Likes

A faster refresh rate also helps make a budget phone feel more premium. Would like to see 90 on the next teracube.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve been using Open Camera for a long time. I’m really pleased that on the Teracube I can make it the default camera that opens when the phone is locked – couldn’t do that on my old phone.
For those wanting to try it, It has a ton of settings – and even for the sophisticated, I suggest changing them one or two a time, or you will be wondering what the HECK did that? Oh, and you CAN turn on a lot of aids that are very intrusive – or you can turn all or most of them off.
Oh – and if you’re using a screen tap to take a picture – it always tries to focus where you tap, so be sure you’re tapping where you want the focus.

5 Likes

This functionality is going away with Android 11+, so there needs to be a discussion between the community and TeraCube about that as things progress.

2 Likes

I have noticed a lot of changes in Android that are not that favorable; like apps that didn’t have ads now do and google pushing people to use a $6 a month subscription to remove ads from things like games.

Really need a proper open os like some of the ones out there. Of course there are things like custom roms that can fix things like that.

3 Likes

Guess I’m staying away from Android 11. Sounds more like the iPhone where freedom & choice is taken away from the owner of the phone. The whole reason I mostly prefer Android over ios.

I’d like a smaller model, similar in size to the Samsung Galaxy s10e. IMO phones have generally gotten way too big, and especially too long for the width. A return to 16:9 or 16:10 would be most welcome.

And please stop using using highly beveled/rounded screen edges - they will never fit a tempered glass screen protector without problems at the edges.

4 Likes

For size of the phone, I actively seek phones that fit into the side pocket of my carpenter pants. I agree, phones are getting too big. I want everything to be minimalist - just enough for what I need it for. I don’t want a car that makes expresso or plays movies for me while I drive. I don’t want a dog that writes poetry. Cell phones have many useful applications and I use my cell phone for many things and in many ways. But, I do NOT want to use my cell phone for some things and I want to be able to remove apps that are not useful to me. I want what I want and do not want what I do not want. LOL, such a complex concept.

5 Likes

I agree. Nothing better than a sub- 6" phone that is really easy to use one handed. I’d be prepared to buy a cheap rubbish phone if it was the right size, but even the budget models are increasingly 6.4" or more!
Opinions seem to be mixed on whether bigger is better. I’ve seen lots of reviews of relatively small phones praising their size, but also some reviews criticising them for being too small- big phones are clearly a crowd pleaser. And I think we’ve got to the point where it is cheaper to have a huge screen than to cram the hardware into a smaller device, no wonder 6.8" phones are becoming ever more common!

1 Like

I agree about the phones getting too big. Continue making them available but offer more choices for those who want sub 6 inch phones. My OnePlus 6t is 6.4" and at times it feels a little too big, even in my larger hands. For me the 2e hits the sweet spot of not being too big or too small. Wanting a portable phone with a good camera and dual SIM was the reason I bought the iPhone SE 2020.
Totally loving the 2e, finding new features as I dig into settings and play around with it. I’m even liking the camera more now that I’m running Open Camera. The difference of the stock camera app and Open Camera is like night and day. If the camera, speaker and CPU/GPU were upgraded, I would never need another phone again.

1 Like

i personally need something at least close to 6" due to my vision anything smaller and i have a hard time seeing it. there are a lot of people like this also out there but like 5.98 or something would be okay

2 Likes

Neither the camera nor the speaker are as good a quality as my honor 7X phone. I got the Teracube 2e to replace the Honor 7X because the battery drains completely within an hour. I want to like the Teracube 2e, but the speaker and camera aren’t as good as my other $200 phone. I wonder if it’s possible to switch out the speaker from one phone to the other.

2 Likes

This is my first smartphone. I do miss the the small size and inherent self-protection of flip phones, but am otherwise pretty happy with it. Open source apps exists for much of what I do with it.

I would like the SD card to be in an external slot so I can swap it without having to dismantle the phone.

More than pretty much anything else, I would like to be able to swap in a color e-ink display. I don’t watch video, play games, engage in similar video-intensive activities. E-ink is easy to read in bright lights. I spend too much time staring at lcds for work and other life and e-ink is easier on the eyes. I have the battery life up to a week and e-ink should add to that.

2 Likes

I believe you could likely switch the phone to greyscale and increase Battery life, though haven’t tried it.

I think it was Vodaphone? Had a rear e ink display awhile back. Seemed nice at the time.

YotaPhone. They went bankrupt a few years back, unfortunately.

Agreed that a color E-Ink would be exceptional.

1 Like

Yes, it is possible to switch out components. But, you have to find a geek that can do more than SAY they CAN DO. :wink: Find someone that has a history of doing that.