Photo quality challenge?

Hello, I can not say otherwise, but my Teracube 2e with iodè makes only poor quality photos. I would like to know if other Teracube 2e smartphones make photos as bad or better. Please post here a photo with your Teracube 2e for comparison.

App: OpenCamera (iodé default), Standard, resized:

• Blurry on the left and right boder.
  • Noisy overall.

App: Aperture (iodé Fork), resized:

• Really blurry on the left border and blurry on the right border.
  • Noisy overall.
1 Like

What processing settings and camera mode are you using in each app? That will help folks replicate your photos.

Also, knowing the shot’s ISO and Shutter Speed will help folks as image quality will degrade at higher ISOs (lower-light scenes).

For instance, I post my photos here with information like this:

This are photos with Teracube 2e? Unbelievable! With my Teracube all photos in all settings are poor.

Additional infos:

App: OpenCamera (iodé default), Standard, resized:
Dimension: 4160x3120
Aperture: f/2.0
Shutter speed: 1/591
Focal length: 3.44 mm
Iso equivalent: ISO 113

App: Aperture (iodé Fork), resized:
Dimension: 3796x2160
Shutter speed: 1/422
Iso equivalent: ISO 111

Consider:

• all the photos with my Teracube 2e are blurry on the left/right border (lens was cleaned).
  • with the OpenCamera HDR modus all photos completelly blurry.

OpenCamera, Standard (STD):

Dimension: 4160x3120
Shutter speed: 1/961
Iso equivalent: ISO 112

OpenCamera, HDR:

Dimension: 3840x2160
Shutter speed: 1/1075
Iso equivalent: ISO 111

The Apps are only forks by iodé. Is that the problem?

The fotos with the Panorama modus are also poor.

I am very dissatisfied with the photos. My old Motorolla Gen 1 took better photos.

1 Like

Sorry, those photos are all with my TeraCube_One. I believe I have them tagged? If not, I need to fix that, haha.

Mmm…

For OpenCamera, I found that I had the best clarity when disabling Noise Reduction Algorithm entirely, and putting Edge Enhancement Algorithm to High Quality (Settings → Processing Settings).

For HDR, I’m finding OpenCamera re-racks the focus motor after the first image, so the remainig images are blurry/out-of-focus. Happens for any mode where multiple exposures are taken except Noise Reduction mode.

Thanks for the infos. I have found this additional settings self and will test it on the next time. By HDR there is a setting to don’t save the single images, but only the final image, and this is blurry. But also for this are additional settings. I will test it… many many settings…
PS: The camera in the smartphone is important to me as a hobby photographer in special situations.

1 Like

Its no way to make better photos with this cam (hardware).

The default installed OpenCamera is a strange thing. In the DRO modus the App makes the sky dirty. The HDR mode makes always very blury photos.

The Camera App from Fdroid dont manipulate the photos, except over the Brightness bar. So, with this App the really quality of the cam is possible. This points to, that the Cam is a low-cost Hardware, like a very old webcam. The expansion of 8 Megapixel increased the poor quality.

This cam quality exist on my old Motorola Gen 1, but by photos with this Smartphone, a photo editing with a unsharp mask could improve the photos a little bit. With photos from the Teracube 2e cam, this is not possible. Its a too poor quality.

Whats the problem with the cam?
Its a hardware blurry, or better say a grainy. But not a analog photo film grain, rather a digital grain.

With a good grainy, the photos becomes a own style and are not really poor. My Sony Ericsson K750i phone has a 2 megapixel cam and makes photos with a good grainy. The Motorola Gen 1 has a 5 megapixel cam and makes photos with a bad grainy. The Teracube 2e with 8 megapixel makes photos with a poor grainy. The cam has also a very poor image sensor.

Here a comparison with a really photo cam with 5 Megapixel and the Teracube 2e with 8 Megapixel. Both without zoom and the same window (6 years later) from the same distance.

Digicam 5 MB (Photo, detail crop, resize up 600 Pixel)

Teracube 2e (Photo, detail crop, resize up 600 Pixel)

Both photos has a pixelize blurry, because of the photo editing zoom (resize).
With the Teracube, the window bars are not straight lines. This is also not a pixelize or a blur, because both photos are sharpen. This is a poor Hardware grainy. I think its a poor image sensor with 8 megapixel.

Question: Is there any possibility to replace the cam with a better one?