Screen going dark due to screen protector

kripes, how stupid. I just got a replacement One and it was the screen protector. No cleaning, just removed and now working perfectly.

I’ll still suggest getting a tempered glass screen protector back. Maybe this time you can align it better than what it came as. The proximity sensor is on the right side of the earpiece on a Teracube One.

Well, I’m still having this issue, and it’s at least partially software related, because, I have the exact same issue when I play messages from my voicemail and this is voicemail that’s already downloaded on my phone i.e. the T-Mobile VM app. Very frustrating. I love the phone, but this is really annoying.

@doc1623 - do you have a screen protector on the phone? If yes, it might need cleaning or removal.

A word of caution: I removed my screen protector because of this persistent problem (and it fixed it!) but when I later dropped my phone the screen cracked. I’m paying the accidental breakage fee for a replacement, and I’m hoping that the new phone’s screen protector will be aligned better and doesn’t have the problem.
I’ve continued to post here mostly because I want to elevate this flaw for consideration in the Teracube 3. Especially since the tempered glass protectors are usually sold out (and based on the forums don’t fit well) I’m hoping teracube prioritizes fixing the factory-installed screen protector so that it doesn’t set off the proximity detector.

No, at this point, I don’t have a screen protector. I’m constantly trying to wipe the sensor area, but none of that explains why it instantly goes dark while playing voicemails locally, as well

@doc1623 - could you do the following:

1. Goto Settings > Apps & notifications > See all apps > Search for “Phone” > Storage > Clear Storage
  2. Try again.

@Sharad Thanks! On VM that worked. I’ll try later on a call, but I think it’s fixed. It seems like I’ve done that before, probably from your previous advice. What causes it to get stuck like that?

Thanks Again,

Glad it worked. It seems like Google Phone app has a bug that causes this periodically. If this becomes a nagging issue, then you could try a different phone app from the Play store. There is an open-source app - “Simple Dialer”.

@Sharad, I can try a different dialer, but that wouldn’t explain why it happened, while playing messages from the Tmobile VM app, in the same way. Those messages are stored locally. What triggered it then?

We can’t be sure - possibly the TMobile VM and Google Phone apps have something to do with it.

@Sharad You’ve been helpful in many aspects, but I think this is a Teracube issue.

1. I’m still having the issue.
  2. I tried the simple dialer and it had the issue. that makes 3 different applications. I don’t know if the sensor is over sensitive, or it’s a software issue. I keep wiping that area, to no affect.
  3. The screen going dark, really isn’t the issue, it’s the fact that I have real “heck” trying to get it back, if I get lucky I see it flash on, but it goes right back to black. That has to be an issue. I can’t recall if other phones went dark while playing local messages, but maybe that’s normal. What’s not normal, is not being able to bring it back.

If this is happening repeatedly, then could be an issue with the proximity sensor on your unit. I’ll suggest emailing us (support@myteracube.com) to get a warranty replacement going.

@Sharad

Thanks for your efforts. I still don’t understand exactly what the problem is. I would think faulty sensor or software. (I’m leaning on the first one). I tried an app to calibrate and it didn’t ever seem to go from 0.0. Regardless, I don’t know that I’m ready to do a replacement. I’ve done that for the screen before, and it means starting over again.

I did find a solution for calls though. The simple phone app does allow you to disable the sensor. So no more, not being able to hang up, or press numbers while on a menu call. At this point, I may get another phone, after a while. I would like to be able to record calls, but I don’t know if that’s possible without a pixel or samsung, bought in a country I don’t live in. I really don’t want either of those. I would like to upgrade, if I do get another phone. Let me know if you guys have a new one in the works.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 54 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.