Suggestions for future products/models

Use this thread to make any software/hardware suggestions. Pile it on - we are all ears :slight_smile:. Would definitely help us as we go along.

4 Likes

Need: bigger battery

• Longer autonomy is more convenient, especially for those where constant access to a charger is not a given

Need: Stronger multi-device Bluetooth

• For those with medical devices (hearing aids, etc.) having robust 3+device connections allows them to use their vital medical devices while still maintaining access to other devices and services (handsfree, file transfer, accessory devices, etc.)

Need: Stereo front-facing speakers

• For those with hearing impairment, having stereo front-facing speakers allows for a large improvement in perceived sound quality, facilitating communication

Need: Qi charging

• Provides convenient method for hands-off charging, easier to use for those with dexterity/mobility concerns as messing with a cable is no longer involved.

Want: Removable battery

• Device sustainability and convenience for the customer.

Want: Lower noise camera sensor

• UX improvement, adding value as many use smartphones to document life events. More MP isn’t the point, but better sensor sensitivity and performance to reduce ISO grain, low dynamic range, and loss of detail and artifacting due to post-processing to suppress the sensor noise.

Want: Full control of base app install

• More value to customer to change and disabled unneeded/unwanted in-box apps.

Want: Magstripe capable NFC

• Provides a stronger UX for NFC payments, allowing usage even in environments where tap-to-pay NFC is not yet widespread (many suburban and rural areas, for instance)

Want: Multi-channel GPS module

• Provides increased accuracy for work or hobby use, more robust against multipath interference for those who live in more urban areas where GPS signal multipathing makes navigation unreliable.

Want: Barometer

• Provides increased vertical accuracy for hobby and work, can be used to predict localized weather changes, used by many sUAS Control Station apps.

Want: RAW data from camera

• Increases value for user, allowing more advanced photography

Want: Stereo audio recording for video

• Increases value for user, also allows for higher-fidelity recordings, which can be important for audio concerns listed above

Many can be resolved via firmware on this model, even :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Agree with pretty much all of this. My favorite phone before using the Teracube was the LG V20.

Removable battery, great camera, Quad DAC, and my favorite thing that keeps the LG V20 still charged and on my nightstand: an IR Blaster.

4 Likes

On a product that promotes environmental protection removable battery is a must, if no other suggestions from saijin are considered please do this at a minimum. If the next phone is planned 3 years from now the MediaTek Dimensity 1000, 820, or 800 could be a excellent SOC choice in that time and I also view the use of a good MediaTek soc as a feature since all other reputable vendors only seem to use Qualcomm, if you could stick with MediaTek that would be good to me. I also think it would be cool for the chassis and/or outer shell to be made from recycled metals. I think having a camera set-up similar to the LG V60 where there’s a singular high megapixel camera that is assisted via a ToF HQVGA, i’m suggesting this assuming it’s a cheaper way to get relatively flagship camera results but I could be wrong. A multi-channel GPS module would also be rather essential at this point.
A dedicated sound card for better music quality via a 3.5mm jack would be nice as well, I think Qsound is still around and if so they’re probably desperate for business maybe you could get a good codec from them assuming they don’t exist solely as patent trolls.

3 Likes

My top hopes & wants from this brand in future models:

Efforts to go above and beyond in making supply chain more ethical & sustainable (like Fairphone)
iFixit repairability score of 8/10 or better
3 or more years of Android updates
Stereo speakers, expandable storage, NFC, fast charging & headphone jack in all models
Affordable higher end models ($300-$700)
Partnering with local, independent repair shops
Marketing your phones as a sustainable, repairable alternative to Apple, Samsung, Google, Motorola, OnePlus, Sony, BLU, etc.
Specialty cameras like thermal imaging, night vision, polarized light sensor, and infrared camera (like on the OnePlus 8)

Suggestions for future models ($300 and higher):

$325 “Teracube 3M” mid-ranger:

1080p OLED tempered glass display
4500mAh battery
18W fast charging
6GB LPDDR4 RAM
128GB expandable flash storage
Snapdragon 636 or Mediatek Helio P65/P70 or equivalent
12MP main camera
8MP selfie camera

3.5mm headphone jack

$399 “Teracube 3S” mid-ranger:

1080p OLED Dragontrail X display (3-foot drop resistance, similar to Gorilla Glass 4, also used on the Pixel 3a)
4500mAh battery
18W fast charging
6GB LPDDR4 RAM
128GB expandable flash storage
Snapdragon 662/665 or Mediatek Helio G80/G85 or Dimensity 700/720 or equivalent
16MP main camera
12MP selfie camera
3.5mm headphone jack

$475 “Teracube 3X” upper mid-ranger:

1080p OLED Gorilla Glass 5 display (5-foot drop resistance)
4500mAh battery
24W fast charging
8GB LPDDR4 RAM
128GB UFS 3.0 expandable flash storage
Snapdragon 675/730G or Mediatek Helio G90/G90T or Dimensity 800/820 or equivalent
16MP main + 12MP ultrawide camera
12MP selfie camera
3.5mm headphone jack

$650 “Teracube 3 Pro” flagship:

1080p OLED Gorilla Glass 6 display (6-foot drop resistance)
Dolby Vision HDR video support.
5000mAh battery
24W fast charging
10W wireless charging
10GB LPDDR4 RAM
256GB UFS 3.0 expandable flash storage
Snapdragon 765G/775G or Exynos 880 or Mediatek Dimensity 1000L/1000+ or equivalent
24MP main + 16MP ultrawide/telaphoto cameras (with image processing as close to Pixel-levels of quality as possible)
16MP selfie camera
As stable video stabilization as possible
3.5mm headphone jack

Hope you guys realize a phone or two with some of the features and specs above.

Good Luck!

6 Likes

Maybe a rugged model, with IP waterproof rating while keeping the battery replaceable and a camera with OIS (probably like XCover Pro but it’s for folks with tight budget).

Or a camera centric model, like Moto Vision, something like that.

3 Likes

I really like the company mission. Therefore, the most important thing for the future (at least for me) would be to not change the direction of the company, and keep creating good, sustainable, and repairable products.

Basically anything that extends the lifepsan of a device is welcomed. Extended software support is one of those things. Once, I receive my Teracube 2e, I plan on creating, and maintaining a custom rom for the forseeable future (at least 4+ years). Providing good documentation on how to flash, and develop a custom rom will really do wonders for the community in general. I don’t have any custom rom development experience, but I think it’s gonna be fun! My personal goal is to eventually be able to port something like GrapheneOS/CalyxOS on the Teracube 2e.

As a privacy consious person, maybe offering a de-googled variant of a device with stock android would be pretty sweet!

TLDR:

• Keep up the good work
  • Documentation for ROM developers
  • Privacy friendly variant (?)
8 Likes

Here are mines

AMOLED screen (for deeper blacks and enhanced colors and paired with a Black theme could preserve some battery life)
Fingerprint scanner under the screen
Large removeable battery
A processor that can compete with other flagships
A better camera (something similar to either Google Pixel or Oneplus)
Qualcomm apx-HD audio

1 Like

This is great, the specks on that Teracube 3 pro idea; I would definitely buy that in a heartbeat.

1 Like

One thing I would love to see is an nvme storage in the phones instead of a micro sd card. I know it might add etrxa bulk to the phone but would be amazing!

A decent case would be nice. The ‘biodegradable’ one is disgusting: feels gross and sticky, makes nearly-too-large phone larger, sticks when sliding into pocket. Really atrociously bad design! I’m not planning on ‘biodegrading’ my phone; the only good thing about the case is it will degrade, and the sooner the better, if I can find a proper plastic case.

Are there any other phones with the same frame and layout? If so, I’ll get a case for one of them. I see there is already the inevitable Chinese wallet case, but that’s no improvement.

Also, $50 for a battery is just insulting. I’ll be buying one elsewhere for way under half that when enough 2es sell that the Chinese start making a knockoff.