Teracube 2E vs Samsung Galaxy S5

So, I’m still using a 6-year-old Samsung Galaxy S5 because I haven’t come across anything clearly better that 1) works on my network, 2) has a removable battery, headphone jack, and MicroSD slot and 3) allows full root access without the constant threat of updates breaking things.

I’m very interested in the Teracube 2e, mainly for the Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE, support for new Android versions, and the warranty/repair services. My main reservation is that the CPU appears to be no more powerful than my existing Snapdragon 801. This actually isn’t a problem for most of the applications I run - I rarely feel like things are noticeably slow - with one exception: Google Maps.

A few months ago, with the most recent major update, Google Maps has become almost unusable - it’s extremely slow and crashes frequently. My main question, then: Will the Teracube ship with, or be tested with, the most common Google applications (especially Google Maps)? I sometimes drive long distances for work, and reliable Google Maps support is rather important to me.

Thanks!

2 Likes

I am happy to share that Teracube 2e works great with Google map. I used it for several 40 to 80 miles trips and it is great. I sync the voice via bluetooth and was able to hear every instructions loud and clear. I never missed a turn and it was always accurate.

I am glad you mentioned Galaxy S5 because I still have mine and it is considered one of my reference units (did I say I am a nerd and I have lots of gadgets?). It is not too big, not too small, light weight, and has all the bells and whistles you mentioned. Personally, my ambition is exactly that - to create a modernized version of it and I feel like we have accomplished that plus some.

i don’t want to toot our own horns but as you can tell, I am very passionate about this master piece of ours.

6 Likes

Thank you!

Hi Thomas. I am also using the Samsung Galaxy S5. However, I replaced the stock Samsung Android with a custom, deGoogled, Lineage OS 17.1 (Android 10). For mapping needs, I am using OsmAnd. It is free and opensource, and runs extremely well on the Samsung S5. You can also install from the official Google Play Store. You should give OsmAnd a try.

The T2e has double the memory vs. the S5, that may well make much more of a difference than processor cores or Mhz.

2 Likes