Two teracube 2e's. Wanna root. Possible yet?

I have installed some apps in a 2e that came originally with stock Android. Have another that isn’t turned on yet. Cannot really use it unless I can root. When is this possible?

Is it safe to use Magisk and TWRP? This should get me there, but indications are that only the 1st batch can do this.

Thanks!

1 Like

Could you give the first 4 digits of your serial number (to determine their batch numbers)?

1 Like

2021 batch2 devices.

1 Like

Currently replaced stock Android with /e/, which cannot currently be rooted. Right?

Any other un-googled firmware which can be rooted on this Teracube 2e, batch 2, 2021 code?

Thanks!

1 Like

It looks like root is possible:

Hey Michael,
You can root using this - How to Install Magisk to Root or Customize your Android Phone
Please use the boot image modification method, and do let us know how it goes.
(from Gagan)

I’ve used twrp in the past or another to get a complete backup of my phone.
What is preferred these days that would be install the backup to a new unit and be back in business?

Thanks,
–Joe.

1 Like

I have rooted a 2020 2e running /e/, with the /e/ recovery (not TWRP), and the instructions are posted here on the community page. I think someone else used the same instructions for their 2021, and had no problems. Let me know if you have questions. It will need to be redone each time you update the OS, but once you’ve done it once or twice, it’s actually pretty easy.

1 Like

I saw that post, but it appeared to be incomplete/untried; didn’t leave me with high confidence.

I’ll try it anyway, and hit for the stands. If it is successful, I will post back here.

–Joe.

The last post in that thread, from @Maragda, says that they successfully rooted a 2e Emerald (2021 version) with those instructions, so it should work.

1 Like

I rooted my v1.5 /e/.

Another file, vbmeta.img was requested also from the zip file for modification by Magisk.

No indication of root access was shown with Magisk. I repeated the process, and I did not see
Enable “Rooted debugging” and “Debugging notify”.

It does seem like I do have root. Still checking…

–Joe.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, did it work?

1 Like

Yes. I’ve had it powered down while changing to a different service provider.

Booted it up and installed Battery Charge Limit app, and it went fine.

Hope this helps.

–Joe.