[Beta] Android 11 for Teracube 2e 1st batch (SN: 2020)

Note: This Beta is closed. We have the certified stable update now.

Archive

** Warning **

1. Please backup your data before proceeding.
  2. Not for the faint hearted. This is Alpha software. If something goes wrong, you might lose your data and might have to re-flash Android 10 using SP Flash software.
  3. Few apps might not be available in the App store like Netflix, Disney+ (this is due to the build not yet certified by Google).

After testing the Alpha version for few days, here is our 1st Beta release. Lots of bug fixes and performance improvements are baked in this release.

What works

1. Bluetooth music and calling, NFC, WiFi, Cellular, VoLTE - all work
  2. Notification LED behavior fixed.
  3. Bluetooth range and music skipping issues should be fixed.

Known issues - What does not work yet

1. FM does not work
  2. Camera app is basic.

Steps

1. Download the upgrade zip file directly on the phone (or transfer the zip to the phone).
  2. Goto Settings > System > Teracube Updater
  3. Click top-right 3 dots > Local update
  4. Tap “Internal storage” and browse to Downloads or wherever you transferred/downloaded the update zip file.
    Note 1 : If Internal storage does not show anything, then reboot the phone.
    Note 2 : Do not download the update to SD card.
  5. Select the file and continue the update process.
  6. It will take a while. The phone will power off and restart by itself. Don’t press power button.

Let us know how it went and post your questions/feedback here. Please keep the comments related to this update itself.

If you experience any errors/issues, you can flash SW6 (original Android 10 firmware) using these instructions.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Three days - am I really the only one who updated?

This update (Beta 1 8e759eb) installed successfully on my 202011T2… phone (even though I “adb pushed” it to /sdcard/download with an SD card in place, overlooking Note 2 above).

Confirm that FM doesn’t work (tunes but no audio), camera works.

Display for first 10 minutes had no color, everything in greyscale. Messed up setting? It is not in “nightlight” (amber) mode, just grayscale.

The Android Security Update in this update is dated October 1, 2021. If Teracube is serious about supporting phones, you are going to have to ramp up to be able to issue security updates every few months (and getting major updates out sooner!). Google issues security updates every single month if you have a Google device in support; that’s the bar these days. One good security issue and people will ditch these phones en masse.

The reason I took the SIM card out of my TC2e and reloaded my Pixel 2 with Lineage is that the TC2e was just not reliable at unlocking my Tesla due to limited Bluetooth strength. Hope this is fixed; Will test this out shortly.

2 Likes

Car unlock seems to work better, in limited testing.

2 Likes

Thanks for feedback. Look forward to a release version.

1 Like

Downloaded the Beta Android 11 yesterday. Installation went without a hitch following the good instructions from Sharad. I have not noticed any problems with the features I normally use. The update includes a security update to October 2021 from May 2021. I would recommend installing the beta unless there are issues that others encounter. Would like to see posts from others that have installed the beta. Many thanks to the development team that are doing their best to update the operating system.

1 Like

Install went well, no data lost, and it just replaced SW16 seamlessly. After almost a week battery life seems the same. Bluetooth seems to work as well if not better than SW16. I didn’t test FM radio as I haven’t used that on a phone since my Honor 5X. On the pure personal preference side, I’m happily swiping instead of having “buttons” take up screen space for navigation. It works really well for me, easily as good as it does on my other phone. If you want to try it (or you prefer it too) it’s under System > Gestures.

1 Like

Folks, thanks for testing and providing feedback. We have released the certified stable update now.

2 Likes

Hi Sharad,

Have you ever updated firmware for the 1st batch? I’m having an LTE voice problem with Cricket/ATT I just posted about, and an updated radio/modem just might fix it.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi @jbray - I just now replied to your other post. More then the radio, its usually the APN or what is in general going on at AT&T and Cricket.

Hi Sharad,

I think I replied to your other post. Checked the APN again: all good, so it’s almost certainly the ATT problem. Do you have any idea yet what their problem is? I can’t even talk to them, only Cricket, which is a very low-rent operation.

Thanks,

Jim