[Archived - Beta] SW15 for Teracube 2e - please install and give feedback

I don’t use calling much (maybe one or two proper “phone” calls a month) but phone audio pipeline seems fine - haven’t run into any issues with MS Teams phone-to-ear audio calls/meetings/video calls (but Teams is inherently laggy af - even just typing in a chat text field has noticeable lag once it reaches multiple lines). Internet is… fine… whenever I get home I have to turn off WiFi because T-Mobile home internet really hates Androids (housemates have similar issues on Android devices), but it works fine at work.

LTE internet access always seems reliable - no gripes there. I’m on T-Mobile (carrier, not MVNO) and I also have a Ting (T-Mo MVNO I think?) and Red Pocket (AT&T) SIM for backup I can swap in and play with. By off chance, do you know any good HD Voice-enabled test numbers I can call? Never have been able to find a simple “see if audio is HD quality” test, even as much as a call center that’s HD-enabled.

Oh, crap, I should mention one little quirk I observed on a recent call. Volume control. I was on a Teams video call, which uses speaker audio, and I found I couldn’t control the call volume at all. Had it all the way down, and it had no effect. Moved it up and down, didn’t seem to change. Even tried adjusting media volume, couldn’t control it that way either. At the time I didn’t think it might be beta-related, but it’s worth mentioning. Might’ve started off as a phone-to-ear incoming audio call, then transitioned to video - maybe that triggers a glitch?

Works well on Mint Mobile (MVNO, T-Mobile network). Bluetooth issues seem fixed, both Wi-Fi and VoLTE work perfectly. 4G “standard” calls work, I don’t have a way to test 2G or 3G.

1 Like

Camera driver seems to ignore spot-focus commands. Using OpenCamera, if I tap on a spot in a very obviously out-of-focus image, it doesn’t autofocus. It only autofocuses when it feels like it, and ignores my commands to make it behave.

That’s annoying.

Do you remember it working differently on earlier builds?

It’s not a regression, aside from being a regression vs. any other phone model. As here: Autofocus is complete 💩 - blurry photos unless tediusly taken

I’d seriously hope that would be addressed with high priority, given that it makes the camera so nearly unusable to work with in some cases where waving and shaking the camera to get it to trigger a autofocus sweep isn’t an option, and it’s not exactly asking for a rewrite. Just some acknowledgment of the issue would be nice.

I have created an internal ticket for the dev team on this. Will report back once they take a look.

Is it possible that its teams app issue? If it possible for you to test on a different phone?

The camera issue isn’t a Teams thing - not using the Teams app, I’m using OpenCamera since the stock camera app is… well… see that thread where the recommendation was made :wink:

It’s not consistent, for sure - but it’s very frequent. Very much more often than it should (which would be never), I find that I can’t get the camera to trigger a focus on demand - it just focuses whenever it wants, on whatever it wants, and little to nothing you can do to slap it upside the head and say “HEY BLURRYLAND, FOCUS ON THIS”. :wink: Tapping it just flashes the rectangle on the blurry area, flashes green, square disappears, stays blurry. Then, when you’re not doing anything but cursing at the app, the camera decides to do a focus sweep, sometimes gives up and stays blurry (honestly, I feel it sweeps focus way too quickly to be effective), sometimes it works.

Yupp - that part was clear. :+1:

Oh. Didn’t see what message it was referring to :thinking: Now I see.

Um… hm. Well, first I suppose it’s worth trying to reproduce the glitch on Teams, but that’s… yeah, I can come up with a reason to try that. If I can, then maybe on a different phone.

But volume control is a system-level control – something the system has absolute control over, no? Not the app’s responsibility to honor a volume control, right? That’s why I bring it up here - it seems the buck stops with the OS. Can’t imagine a context where an app should have its own system-independent volume control…

It’s probably worth pointing out that this is still unresolved: Turning OFF the small LED to the right hand side of the notch when phone is locked and unlocked

I’ve still not been able to turn that dang light off, as the switches in Settings have no effect. It constantly flashes, all hours of every day, like a 1990s Nokia. Thankfully it’s not terribly bright, but if I let my mind wander over to it, … oof.

1 Like

Upgraded about a week ago to ver 15 Telus network Canada prairies. All is good

1 Like

Installed SW15 yesterday (13/05/2021)
Using Free Mobile network in France.
It seems to have greatly improved the Bluetooth range and quality.
Having a recent security patch is reassuring.
No other noticeable improvements or glitches in the 24 hours of use.
Things I would appreciate:

• not having the accessibility permissions reset to “off” every time I reboot the phone,
  • a “clear all” button to close all open apps when using Nova Launcher
1 Like

Thanks - added these to Dev backlog.

I have installed SW15 and everything seems to be working fine, except I can’t use Google Pay anymore as it tells me it can’t be used on phones with beta software. This is a bit of a bummer, as I had been using this feature regularly.

So my questions are:

• when will the EU get a stable new software release that is not beta?
  • can such a release be installed over the SW15 beta?
1 Like