Desktop Shortcut disappear

After installing Android 11, all the desktop shortcuts I created disappear after turning off the device. what to do?

Hi @Joachim_Wanke - welcome to Teracube forums. Could you clarify - did you lose the shortcuts once or do you lose them after every reboot? Our Android 11 update does use a different launcher setup and hence it starts kind of fresh with no shortcuts.

yes, after almost every restart all shortcuts are gone.

That shouldn’t be happening. I’ll ask the Devs if there is a way to get logs from your phone.

In the meantime, you could try few things:

1. Do a soft reset to see if that helps.
  2. Use a different launcher like Lawnchair v2, Microsoft, Nova or many others from Google Play store.

In general, I find this is an issue with the launcher not properly storing apps which are on the sdcard. To be clear though, this is an issue with the launcher, not the Teracube. I’ve had it happen on multiple Samsung and LG devices as well. While Nova Launcher still loses my apps on almost every reboot, I’m able to save a backup of my layout and reload it after the sdcard has completed loading and scanning again.

1 Like

Here’s a link to a clip of a 7 year old Reddit AMA about why apps on sdcards end up disappearing. Basically, the way Google serves up the info, it says that the apps are uninstalled. Some launchers will put in a hack to not remove icons for missing apps, but… yep.

If i recall correctly, Google actually removed the ability to install apps on an SD card a few years ago. I think it’s because SD cards can get corrupted, or changed out, which leaves you without access to the app you installed. Smart phone storage has increased drastically over the years, and I don’t see a need to install apps on external storage for my needs. Not sure what Google’s opinion on this is today.