[Final Beta] Android 12.1 for Teracube 2e (both batches)

In the meantime, I did go back to previous Android version with your easy flash tool.
It is my spare which I probably am going to use to start anew on Android 12.

1 Like

One more bug is found on the Zirconia build: impossible to connect to aTeracube 2e phone set up as a 3G Wi-Fi Hot Spot. Other phones cannot connect to it. Any similar experiences from anybody?

2 Likes

+1 - hotspot did not work for me either. Iā€™ve let the Devs know.

3 Likes

Hi there, I successfully updated from Android 10. The bootup time was initially very slow but seems a bit better after I did a factory reset. Only thing that I am really missing so far is the hotspot (as above) which might mean I need to revert to older version unless there is a fix soon. Looking good otherwise!

1 Like

Finally!!! I installed 12.1 beta and all went smooth and safe. Great job so far and surely quite an achievement for a small team like Teracubeā€™s.

However, it did take a bit long to get here. I own a second device now as a daily driver, simply because the security updates got stuck some 1-2 yeas ago.

So I have one request/advise: If you want to keep your customer base, please roll out security updates regularly and more often than before. Thank you.

Respect for providing 12.1 after all this time at all! I am actually using my teracube again, as a backup this time. It is quite fun. Thank you!

3 Likes

Itā€™s definitely been a journey of learning, but the team is working really hard and is dedicated to getting things out more smoothly in the future.

Thanks for testing it out, and writing about your experience :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It is great to hear you are still dedicated to working on updates for this device. This keeps me using it again and reintroduced some trust in the brand. I am even open to buying the next model, when it will be released by Teracube, as long as updates keep coming. Thank you!

3 Likes

Hi, k-gold here. Very happy to have a zirconia over two years. But have I broken the phone? Had upgraded to android 11 and was ready to load 12. But partly because of faulty downloads, the phone has not done well since.

I used fire fox browser first in the phone to get the 12 build. The browser simply flagged the file transfer as ā€œcompletedā€. Itā€™s size was 875 MB. The teracube updater booted it but itā€™s clock app did not work, and making/taking calls failed. Poor file transfer? Then used ffox on a PC to get it and re-update twice. File sizes varied (so why continue - duh, guy!) and the 2e was not happy with them, at last being stuck in boot screen.

A boot into recovery menu allowed a view of a boot log. Can it help to post it here? But since failing to boot on 12 I have wiped and gone back thru 2e-06 etc, and am running android 11. The problem with voice calls remains, and might still even with a valid 12 image to load! The sim can make calls in another phone.

1 Like

Two common potential issues. One, have you done an official reset while booted into Android 11? Itā€™s possible that you have some database thatā€™s corrupted. Two, have you verified your APN settings against your carrierā€™s website? Sometimes those settings change and they donā€™t auto-detect as well as they should.

1 Like

@Maymne thanks for that. The apnā€™s are valid. My service provider read it to me line by line.
The last time on 11, before loading 12 I did not reset. Then the problem began. So it could be a good place to start.
Know of any good ways to download that can verify the copy is same as source? I know ffox does not do this. I got three different sized files, beforeā€¦ @k-gold

1 Like

My favorite way to do it on Windows or *nix is using aria2, which is a free command-line downloader. With the -R (capital R) flag, it will save the original date/time from the server. If you run it two or three times in a row, youā€™ll get multiple copies of the downloaded firmware. At that point, you can run your favorite hashing app (or just fc /b in a Windows command prompt) to verify whether your identically-sized files are actually the same. Once you get multiple identical copies, that should be trustable for being as safe as possible.

Also, after flashing, some people have found a reset inside the OS to be helpful. If you donā€™t have a bunch of data, going to Settings ā†’ System ā†’ Reset options ā†’ Erase all data (factory reset) should give you a cleaned up phone. If you like your data and want it preserved, doing targeted wiping of random apps will sometimes help, but will end up being a lot more work.

When I upgraded from 11.0.3 to 11.0.4 I had a bunch of random app crashes, but they mostly resolved after wiping the data of each app that had issues. Some apps survived, some didnā€™t. Some required an uninstall and reinstall. A factory reset would have definitely been a lot easier and faster, but I like to fight sometimes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And we have the 1st beta release of Android 13. Check it out.

5 Likes

Nice to see new android version coming. Now we have 12.1 and 13, but both are not

• Vowifi (wifi calling) does not work yet
  • Build is not certified. Devs are looking into that.
    Is there any progress about these 2 topics? Is there a target date?
    As I mentioned some time ago, unfortunately mobile network is nearly not available in my office and I like to pay with my phone.
2 Likes

Anyone have an issue with a zirconia being stuck booting after the 12.1 update? I was able to get the update done and it worked for some time, but now the phone wonā€™t get passed the teracube Powered by android splash screen.

1 Like

Looks like it finally booted. I just had to let the battery completely drain, twice, before it reset enough to realize it could boot!

1 Like

Iā€™ve had some very slow reboots when Google applies the monthly security updates, to the point where Iā€™ve questioned if the phone has crashed. Patience or distraction has eventually succeeded.

2 Likes

Hello, any projection of when this will be released through the standard Teracube Updater? I know it might be wifi calling that is the thing preventing the release, but Iā€™d be fine with it still being a work in progress even if released on the official updater. Iā€™m pretty sure applying these unofficial betas to my phone, because they arenā€™t certified, will raise issues with a banking and credit card app I have and that is keeping me stuck on Android 11 until it can be released through the official updater.

2 Likes

I believe the plan is to focus all development effort on the upcoming Android 13 Builds for Zirconia/Emerald (2020/2021) 2e units.

This upcoming Android 13 build should have integrated fixes for Vo-WiFi and Auto-Brightness, so bear with us :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A new certified update is available, here!

1 Like