Message from AT&T About My Phone Not Compatible?

Just got an email saying that my phone will not work with “new” technologies, meaning 4GLTE and HD Voice. Is this true? Are you aware of this? Or, is this a typical ploy to scare me into buying a phone from them?

Body of the email:

" We will soon be upgrading our network to use the latest technologies. These updates are to serve you better and bring faster speeds and greater reliability.

*But your device ending in 2542 is not compatible with the new network and you need to replace it to continue receiving service. Our team is here to help you find a compatible device that fits your needs. We want to help you transition as seamlessly as possible and ensure your service is not interrupted."

On further investigation on their site: " To bring you faster speeds and new features, we have to evolve America’s best and also fastest network. One change we’re making is phasing out our 3G network by February 2022. Once we do, 3G devices and 4G wireless devices that don’t support HD Voice will no longer work on our network."

Any insight into this?

3 Likes

The email included this link,

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1324171

Thanks for pointing this out. Some users have sent us email as well.

What we know

As of now Teracube is not certified for VoLTE (HD voice) on AT&T and uses 3G for voice calls. This setup will keep working atleast till February 2022.

We will do some more research on this and report back here soon. If you are interested, please subscribe to this thread by clicking on the Bell icon on the right hand side.

Few online references to this AT&T message:

2 Likes

I’ve been seeing articles about this also. Even people that have purchased Samsung phones are getting this. I wouldn’t stress too much. ATT is getting alot of backlash.

1 Like

T-Mobile will be doing the same starting January 2021 according to various articles; I haven’t received any notice from them as of yet since I’m their Metro network (though they’re not getting as much backlash as ATT), but if they’re like ATT and want certified devices, I’m likely to be getting a message sometime in the next week or so.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/25/t-mobile-will-soon-require-volte-on-all-phones-incomopatible-devices-kicked-off-january/?amp

Does this mean it’s incapable of VoLTE? Or could VoLTE be enabled via root tweaks to allow VoLTE on AT&T?

Correct - VoLTE is just not possible on AT&T as of now. It needs AT&T’s VoLTE certification which is a slightly painful process. T-Mobile and other international carriers do not need any such certification.

It seems going ahead we will have to pass this certification if we want to support AT&T. Stay tuned as we find more about this.

2 Likes

Yeah - we saw this as well. T-Mobile is much better than AT&T in this regards. Our phone is fully compatible with T-Mobile’s VoLTE already. All T-Mobile, Metro and other T-Mobile MVNO users should already be seeing VoLTE icon in their status bar.

Ooooooo awesome! I’ve had the icon since switching, but wasn’t sure if that would be impacted. :sweat_smile:

Good day!

I just got my Teracube phone on Friday, after getting the same message for my old phone (that was old and outdated anyways) and was really hoping to have this be my “4 year” phone on AT&T, and was really sad to read this thread, in which case I might have to reconsider.

However, when I put my sim card in there, I do see a “VoLTE” symbol on the top next to the network strength icon. As indicated, this seems to be expected behavior with T-Mobile based network users, but I’m getting this with AT&T. Is this a sign that it will work with their network after all, even if not officially whitelisted?

It’d be great if this could happen. Personally, I make heavy use of Skype and Mumble to talk with my wife on our TeraCubes since she’s hard of hearing. Having VoLTE/VoWi-Fi would mean that we’d be able to use “traditional” calls with the wideband voice codecs, increasing her speech recognition.

1 Like

Here is the real test for VoLTE. Place a call or answer an incoming call. See if the LTE sign goes away or stays. If it stays, then you have VoLTE working. If not, then maybe it is not working.

I’m kind of surprised you are getting VoLTE icon with AT&T. Anyone else seeing it?

1 Like

Hey there, I just did a test of receiving a call, and it seemed to still show volte icon during the call. Just for full disclosure, I am on a contract plan with AT&T and not prepaid. Let me know if there is anymore information I can provide to add some clarity.

1 Like

That confirms that Volte is working for you. I’m very eager to hear from other AT&T users.

1 Like

I checked with my phone out of wifi calling mode, and I have the LTE symbol!

Do you have at&t? Wifi calling should not be available on at&t. Can you check if you can enable Volte?

Wifi calling IS available, so is voice LTE

1 Like

Intriguing indeed (almost like a suspense soap opera :slight_smile:) . First VoLTE and now Vowifi on AT&T. They could be playing around to reduce load on their networks.

@cpangracs - could you share a screenshot?

@Saijin_Naib - do you have AT&T as well? If yes, could you check if VoLTE is enabled in settings and if the icon is showing or not. If its not showing, try a reboot.

1 Like

Sharad, we’ve on Cricket, which is AT&T’s in-house MVNO.

No VoLTE or VoWi-Fi though the carrier offers it on other phones.