Play Store, Browsers crashing?

I don’t know if this is a bug report, because I can’t track down much about this.

Play store crashes if I search for something and then tap to choose it. Looking at my apps in the play store app is fine, updating seems to be fine. I just uninstalled Firefox (see below) and when I looked in my library for ‘not installed on this phone’ and chose firefox, it crashed. When I was looking for the app for my diabetes reader, I would get it in a list, and when I tapped it, play store crashed. Trying to remove and reinstall playstore … not sure how to try that.

So far, I’ve installed 3 browsers on the device - Firefox, Opera, and DuckDuckGo. I’d rather not use Chrome, as I am already telling Uncle Goog everything, and they can go hang for my browser use also.

However, DuckDuckGo is the only one that launches. Firefox and Opera both crash immediately. DDG doesn’t ask for access to camera and mic, so I turned everything but storage off in Firefox permissions and it still crashes immediately. I just uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, and tapped ‘open’ on the playstore to open it, and again, immediate crash.

So far my various small games - sudoku, pixel dungeon, neko atsume - all work fine. I haven’t tried many others. But browsers I use constantly, and the playstore crashing is somewhat ridiculous. Yes, as far as I know, I have all the latest updates, and I’m on the correct version of the Teracube software also.

Help?
/amq

Please try to clear the Cache partition first as per the Guides here:

If that fails and you’re certain you’re on the most recent Device Software, I’d recommend a factory reset (you will lose all data/information):

I’m sorry, I don’t quite understand. Should I enter safe mode, and then recovery mode, and then wipe cache? Safe mode doesn’t seem to have anything to do with recovery mode? or are they three different steps, and I should check between each one to see if it’s fixed things?

/amq

Three different things, each escalating over the other.

Hi @amqueue - you can try the following in sequence to see if they fix the issue:

1. Clear cache partition.
  2. If clearing cache did not work, then backup and reset.
1 Like

OK. I wiped cache, still crashing.

I don’t have a Sim card in the device yet. Could this be causing problems? I’m on WiFi fine, as far as I can tell. And duckduckgo app works fine.

Resetting the whole thing is a pain, so I haven’t done that yet.

/amq

I understand your concern about reset. It typically takes 1 hour with a decent internet connection (including backup). However some apps might need their own login and setup after that :slight_smile:.

Android sometimes gets into a jumbled up state with its files and caches - factory reset fixes all that.

1 Like

Ok, Factory reset has made it so Firefox isn’t crashing, and the playstore doesn’t seem to be crashing. Of course, my weather app that I had successfully put as a widget on my screen now crashes when I try to put the widget on my screen, and I don’t know if that’s a launcher problem or an android problem, and I’m about to hit my head on some desks, so there’s that. :smiley:

(app is Eye in the Sky, widget is the 3x5, that was working FINE before the factory reset. sigh )

Thanks for your help.
/amq

1 Like

Do you have a link to the play store listing for this widget/app? I can’t seem to find it.

Hmph. I found a website talking about it, but following the link from that site gave me a page saying it wasn’t found. And yet, it installs, and works, and the widget was functioning before the factory reset. :frowning: I had two widgets set up, both were working fine. Trying to set this widget crashes immediately, and in fact I have to exit and relaunch the widget interface to be able to set any widget once that happens.

Why did I ever want to use a computer? :smiley: :confused:
/amq