Screen inaccessible during phone calls

I’ve had this problem for awhile but thought maybe someone else would report it and it would get fixed without me. Alas, that has not been the case. Here is the issue, and it is very strange. Every time I am on a phone call, once the screen times out, I cannot access the phone until they hang up. That means I can’t click numbers in menus and I can’t even hang up a phone call because there is no screen when I am on the call. I’ve tapped the screen and pressed the lock button–all the normal things. None of it works and it’s been going on for many many months. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone have a solution? I don’t have any updates available and I’ve restarted my phone and turned it off and on many times. Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Try very vigorously cleaning the screen and removing any screen protector that doesn’t have cutouts by the top speaker.

I can try! I only have the screen protector that came with the phone. And the screen works just fine as soon as the calls are over. It’s only during phone calls specifically that it will not light up.

1 Like

Which phone do you have? I had an issue like this that slowly developed on my original release 2e. However, after I did the firmware update to Android 11, it appears to be resolved (or at least, a lot less frequent).

So if you have a 2e on the original Android 10 firmware, it might be worth doing the upgrade.

Good luck!

1 Like

I also have the 2e! I’m glad I’m not the only one who has experienced this problem.

I have had Android 11 for awhile. In fact it may have started when I got Android 11. Maybe I should try the opposite and revert back and see if it helps. Thanks!

1 Like

If you are comfortable with using Beta builds, we have Android 13 Beta 2 available:

1 Like

@xpaar - try either or both things mentioned by @Saijin_Naib

1. Clean or remove the screen protector.
  2. Upgrade to Android 13 build
1 Like