Security Updates

While I am happy that Teracube is working on a Android 11 Alpha update, I am unhappy that the latest OTA security update was issued on May 5, 2021. This means that I am not protected against security issues that have developed over the past 6 plus months. I am under the impression that the Android 11 update when issued will have the September security update included, but it may take several more months before the stable version of Android 11 is ready for an OTA release. I would urge you to decouple the security updates from Android version updates. I can live with Android 10, but I cannot live without frequent security updates. I applaud the involvement of the the Teracube community in the alpha/beta testing of Android 11. Perhaps that will speed the process along. I hope that the development of alternative os systems and the involvement of Teracube staff does not eat up time that could be better spent on Android updates/security updates. I rarely use my Teracube 2e because I am leery of security issues. I found it necessary to buy a phone that is cheaper than the Teracube 2e and is running Android 11 with frequent security updates.

1 Like

Team is learning our way through this maze and are working on improving our security update process. To set expectations right, we hope to achieve an update every 4-6 months in 2022 and better it from there.

Well it’s now mar. 2023 any security updates yet and when?

3 Likes

Waiting for Godot, haha :laughing:

This is a serious problem, what gives?

It’s clear that Sharad and teracube staff underestimated the difficult of updating the software of the teracube models. Neither the security updates nor the android system updates have been at all satisfactory. It seems to me that Sharad needs to expand teracube’s capabilities through a merger or contract. The teracube 2 phone would be fine with updated software. Without it, teracube users can either install alternative software or risk serious malware infections. I’m afraid teracube is dead in the water without timely updates.

1 Like

Hi @spencer_silberstein - I apologize and agree that we are running into many delays with our Android updates. The team is still on it but does not have any progress updates as of now.

my teracube 2e just had an update to android version 11 and still has android security update October 5 2021.
Is this the current versions? Is my teracube safe?

If you’re on the latest version when you check for updates through the TeraCube Updater, then yes, you’re as recent as we’ve released as final OTA updates.

We are working on a platform update to Android 12 that will also roll in the current Security Update, but we’ve hit some bugs during the process, so we’re not quite ready to release it yet.