Teracube 2e case 3D file

I am cross-posting it here so that anyone looking can find it easily.

Factory version: link to the STP file

User-generated (posted here in forums)

1. STL file of the factory version, link to the post.
  2. User modded version with side bumpers removed (stl), link to the post with picture
2 Likes

It is great that you posted this! If anyone is interested in 3D printing this at an online printer, please let us know how it turns out. I looked at Craftcloud with this design, and it costs ~$20 delivered to the US, when made with TPU (a flexible rubber-like material).

This is the same one that the 2e came with correct?

Yes - we are using the same design.

meh these turn out only okay. the power button did not line up that well and the case is a bit short on the sides. i mean it fits but its not great. tried 2 different times and adjusted the fit each time.

Thanks for posting this! Did you print the case yourself or have it printed remotely and shipped to you?

tried it both ways. i had to bring the sides up a bit higher and slightly move the power button up a bit its not perfect but it works. i had a very reputable place do a print also to see if it was my equipment and theirs came out the same way. it does fit but its not perfect

In my (admittedly limited) experience, there’s a lot of variation between printer types, and even sometimes between printers, so it’s not too surprising - glad you got something that works!

had three printed on cloudcraft, black TPU came out fine, tried clear TPU but i guess i didn’t understand infill% and it came out pretty bad. 100% functional, but it is not clear at all and i get lots of comments that i need to add stones and other bling to it. do not recommend clear TPU.

1 Like

Hi @Sharad, could you please post again? I think the link has gone dead.

Thanks for letting us know about the broken link. Fixed now. Here is the working link.

1 Like

What percentage infill did you go with for your case? I was going to just buy one from the Teracube store, but they’re out of stock now. My original speckled case is beginning to fall apart after about 18 months, which is pretty good compared how little it held up for others.

I’ll may try the Craftcloud route like you did.

I did order a copy in TPU from Craftcloud after my original fell apart after ~14 months. I used 40% infill and it fits well, maybe a touch tight. It cost me ~$15 delivered (delivered from-to US). I would say my only quality concern is that occasionally a long strand of case will come peeling off, one of the outer extrusions, but this was more frequent when it was new. I’ve had it for over 2 months now, and it seems like it’s working.

<edit - clarified the delivery location>

Thank you, that’s very good to know. If Teracube doesn’t get stock soon, I’ll go the Craftcloud route.

We had a configuration issue in our store. Black and Green cases should be in stock now. If you don’t find them, please email us.

I just wanted to update this post to say how much better the redesigned case is. As others have said, it fits more snugly. It’s easier to grip and feels great in the hand. It cost me about $25 with shipping to get it, but I think it’s money well spent. I don’t think I’d have gotten better quality and utility for less money going the 3D printing route. It likely will have cost more to get an inferior result, in my opinion.

If you’re on the fence about getting a new case, buying the redesigned case is the way to go.

1 Like

Hi, kind of a weird ask, but I was wondering if you had the case in a format editable by CAD software (SolidWorks, Fusion 360, Creo, etc.). I keep my phone in my pocket and have noticed that the corner protrusions (while aesthetic and giving more corner protection) are causing more rapid wearing-out of my pockets. If I had the original design file, I could alter the features and make a smooth case. Is that possible?
EDIT: If I were successful, I’d be happy to share the design with the community in case anyone else would prefer it.

2 Likes

Greetings!
We would definitely be interested to see what you come up with.
2e-case-cad.stp (10.7 MB)

1 Like

Thanks, Robert, but I have the .stp file. The .stp file is not editable in the same way I’m talking about. By the time it’s an .stp file, the design is basically a skin made out of 2D geometries (mostly triangles and quadralaterals), and difficult to edit in any meaningful way. In a program like solidworks, however, the protrusions would probably have been created by an extrusion function that can be applied to a defined areas of the corner surface to create the feature. With a .sldprt file, for example, in SolidWorks, I could simply undo the feature by editing or undoing the application of the extrusion function. It would be similar in Creo or Fusion 360.
Edit: so what I’m after is actually what was used to create the .stp file. Sometimes this is proprietary, though, so I understand if it’s not available, just thought I’d ask.

1 Like

Would it be possible to have the file in another format, like STL?

1 Like