2E Micro SD Card Specs

When I installed my microsd card it said it was only available for portable storage. I assume that’s because there is an expected speed rating with the card required for it to be usable as a system card. The card I’m using is a 64gb SanDisk Extreme MicroSDXC V30 U3 yet it still only reconizes it as extra storage. Any thoughts on if it the card or an installation issue?

Anthony - The phone is great, I love it.

3 Likes

@Sharad

After reviewing my post on another thread and testing my self, this is actually a software issue you guys need to address.

Once you have enabled the developer options as suggested by this reference:

You should have a button when reviewing the storage section of the App Info to then move the app to the SDcard. However, you guys do not have this object in your code, so when you go to that page, the option just isn’t there. It is likely it can be added to the app config and then moving items would work.

Additionally, it seems for some reason you guys forgot to toggle the option to allow the sdcard setup app to be able to format as internal storage, I believe this is also something that can be changed from the SDK on your side with a few changes to how the app for sdcard setup is configured.

Without that, it would seem regardless of the app used, you can’t move any application to the actual SDcard.

Thanks for your time in review.

Cheers!

5 Likes

Thanks, @TheLinuxBug for the detailed info. I’ll investigate this with the team and revert back with our findings.

5 Likes

@Sharad Checking to see if you have discovered anything?

Thanks for the reminder. This feature is called Adaptive storage and Google made it optional in Android 10. Our developers find that adaptive storage is always breaking on version updates. It also isn’t implemented well and Google has left it broken for years. Hence we have kept it disabled in our software.

That said, we will look deeper into it little later in the cycle - potentially 3-4 months.

Thanks for the response @Sharad

From my experience, adaptive storage become problematic when using old / slow sd cards which was why I asked if there were any specific performance requirements. When you use the more expensive v60 / v90 cards the problems seem to go away. I know you are all busy, however, when time permits it might be useful to test with the faster cards to see if it alleviates some of the issues the developers have found. People like me who have too many apps on their phones are probably willing to take the risk to enable this for specific “fat” applications to make space for higher priority applications in system memory. Here is an article that talks about the issues, risks, and rewards. https://www.androidcentral.com/adoptable-storage

1 Like

i agree i MISS this feature on the older android versions where i could move seldom used apps over to the sd card then not take up space in memory i dont really need since i only run these apps rarely. this would be an awesome feature to regain for those who are willing to and or know the risks

3 Likes

There is a setting in Developer options called “Use for extra phone storage”. Has anyone tried that? If not please check it out and let us know.

Also found this article - https://simpleit.rocks/android/how-to-use-microsd-as-internal-storage/