[Beta 2] Android 13 for Teracube 2e

Hi Sharad.

I have Beta 1 13 running and have been attempting to install the 2nd without much luck. Initially, every time I selected the new image zip file, I would see the “importing local update” msg and then the “Local Update has been imported” msg. As soon as I clicked on Install the app would crash. I tried multiple times and did such things as restart the phone, re-download the update, flush the updater app cache & flush the data cache. I believe what got me past the updater crash issue was when I looked at the app Package Version and rolled it back. Strangely I believe I saw I had version 12 and it rolled back to 13 - if that makes any sense. Regardless I was then able to move on in the install process. I got the “Preliminary Update Preparation” msg, then the “Teracube - Local Update - Aug 17, 2023 Install” msg then I got this confusing msg that listed the Beta 1 install with the new date:

Apply update
You are about to upgrade to Teracube 13.0.0+e80d34a.zirconia.user - Aug 17, 2023.
If you press OK, the device will restart itself in recovery mode to install the update.
Note: This feature requires a compatible Recovery or updates will need to be installed manually.
CANCEL OK

When I clicked on OK, I was taken back to the Preliminary Update Preparation msg and couldn’t get out of the loop formed by the steps and msgs described above.

I tried the same series of restarts, cache flushes and so on without any luck.

What would you recommend?
Mark

1 Like

Are you in a position to SPFlash back to stock Android 11 and try again?

For now, I’ve returned to 11.0.4 as there were enough apps that required certification to encourage patience.

If someone on Beta 2 is able to run YASNAC and post the fail, that’d be appreciated. I expect we fail both Basic and the CTS Profile with Hardware Attestation, but forgot to check before reverting and it’s been almost two days trying to get all my apps back to their prior states. If we only fail CTS and Basic is fine, that’d be a nifty result.

1 Like

No need to rush, I only wanted to confirm my guess. Many thanks for the info @Sharad

3 Likes

Hi, it doesn’t work for me.
I have an 2020 modell with 11.0.4 and uses the All Other Zirkonia download.
Only got a message “update failed” after the reboot.

1 Like

Hi @Martin_Re - could you do the following:

1. Enable Developer options.
  2. Do the upgrade process again.
  3. After the phone reboots, take logs and share with us.
2 Likes

Thank you, did so.

1 Like

The Zirconia update failed for me (13 Beta 1 to 13 Beta 2) three times (rebooted each time). Finally my phone appeared to “lock” so I left it sit for 45 minutes. It got to the “unable to start Android” screen so I did a factory reset. Everything worked after that, & the update to Beta 2 worked without a hiccup.

This makes me wonder if many of us who had problems just kept updating and never “wiped” the phone for a clean install. I updated to the Android 12 Betas from 11, then 12 to 13. Maybe some “leftovers” were goofing things up?

1 Like

Update:
I did the Return to the Original Android 10 (RttOA10) and install the Beta 2 update. Running the RttOA10 batch file at the Windows command prompt was a little brute force-ish but it worked the first time. After getting my Google account re-established on the phone so I could download the new Beta 2 image, the installation of the image went smoothly. Hopefully the next update will be a little more straight forward.

2 Likes

Can you check if you emailed the logs to devs@myteracube.com? I don’t see them in the inbox.

1 Like

My Zirconia on Beta2

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks so much! That it passes basic integrity means I’m likely to try upgrading again when I have a weekend to burn. If it ends up passing the upgrade and not forcing a factory reset for corrupted data, I’ll post what’s different. If it still requires the wipe, no sense in muddying the waters.

1 Like

Quick question: will there be a way to upgrade on zirconia from Android 12 to 13 the same way we upgraded from 10 → 11 and from 11 → 12 beta? I think I’ve read somewhere one needs to upgrade the installer, so is there a way to avoid that?

1 Like

The notes for upgrade to this build are in the opening post:

Things may change with a subsequent release, but anything we know about that will be posted alongside the new release.

Zirconia Android 12 users need to install an apk first. Notes here.

1 Like

Word to the wise - this is definitely still a Beta. I did the upgrade from 12 and after installing the APK to patch the installer, everything went well. After about 1 day of use my phone screen went dark and started boot looping. After removing the battery and putting it back in, I got an error in (what looked like) fastboot saying there was corruption, and the system needed to be recovered.

I lost my data (nothing important) and so far it’s been stable since yesterday, but I’m not sure if this was a “one time thing” or a ticking time bomb.

Otherwise the system feels great - snappy, seemingly great on battery, and the camera is SO MUCH faster. Good job team!

4 Likes

Just upgraded to 13.0.1 again and no mandatory wipe this time. I believe the failure point was in trying to avoid the mandatory wipe by disabling my screen lock first, before kicking off the upgrade. It makes sense that the storage is still encrypted and the Android 11 is aware of how to handle it, but Android 13 sees it as a fresh OS and has no idea how to deal with an encrypted system with no hint as to the key.

There does seem to be a live wallpaper bug in 13.0.1, regarding app intents. When I try to apply a live wallpaper, I get the following error:
No activity or application found to handle: android.service.wallpaper.CHANGE_LIVE_WALLPAPER

1 Like

Horrible experience. I updated to Android 13 the day after getting my new TeraCube with seemingly no issues. Now that I have had time to evaluate, I’m getting nothing but problems. SD card randomly won’t mount after restart. Apps take 15 sec + to load and are glitchy. Screen randomly blanks requiring me to pull the battery to restart. The most annoying is that I can’t receive or make phone calls. Going to reset and try Android 12 to see if it is any more stable.

1 Like

Welcome!

Sorry to hear you are having such issues.

Would you be open to flashing 13 Beta 2 again and using the phone for a bit without the MicroSD card and not restoring your prior Android backup?

It would help to isolate where you might be having problems.