Can't set my APN settings properly (Public Mobile, Canada)

I tried the newest build, still no luck :frowning:

We need a working apns-conf file. @franknarf8 - could you get that file from your Nexus phone or ask on the forums?

Hello Sharad,

Sorry again for the delay; I lent my phone to my girlfriend while here Teracube can’t connect to the internet :S.

So, you will find the full apn.conf.xml I found in my Nexus 5X here : https://github.com/ni-fgenois/teracube-apn
(I can’t link xml files to this issue, only photos it seems, so you will find them in this git repo)

There seems to be 3 entries of possible importance in that file :

<apn carrier="Mobile Internet"
      mcc="302"
      mnc="220"
      apn="sp.mb.com"
      type="default,mms,supl"
      mmsc="http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc"
      mmsproxy="74.49.0.18"
      mmsport="80"
      mvno_match_data="50"
      mvno_type="gid"
  />

<apn carrier="Mobile Internet"
       mcc="302"
       mnc="220"
       apn="sp.mb.com"
       type="default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri"
       mmsproxy="74.49.0.18"
       mmsport="80"
       mvno_type="gid"
       mvno_match_data="4D4F"
  />

<apn carrier="PC mobile"
      mcc="302"
      mnc="221"
      apn="sp.mb.com"
      type="default,mms,supl"
      mmsproxy="74.49.0.18"
      mmsport="80"
      mvno_match_data="50"
      mvno_type="gid"
  />

Hope you find what we need in there!

Take care

- Frank

1 Like

Hello @Sharad ,

Any updates on this issue?

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

- Frank

We are testing how apns settings work - its taking a bit. Hang on - we should have something for you by next week.

1 Like

Awesome Ok,

I know these things can take time, hang in there and have a nice weekend!

• Frank
2 Likes

Hi, I was just wondering if there was any more news on this issue?

Thanks, Faith

1 Like

I’m sorry we have not made much progress on this recently. Somehow our modified apns-conf.xml is not being read at all. We have not given up though - give us 1-2 more weeks.

Hi,

Is there any more updates on this issue, or should I just be looking to switch provider at this point?

Thanks,

Faith

1 Like

We are testing another build. Should have something for you in 1-2 days.

1 Like

Hey Sharad,

Should I just change Internet provider? (This is kind of the 3rd month I’m paying for data without being able to use it…) (Lol, my girlfriend, our families and our friends are leaning quite heavily on the teasing as of late XD)

Can you suggest some Canadian providers that are supported by Teracube?

Thanks

• Frank

Hi Frank - here is the new system image (with APN settings from Lineage OS - has updated Canadian carrier APNs). Try it out.

Here is a thread on Canadian carriers that are working for other Teracube users. One user reported via email about Telus being fully compatible with Vowifi and VoLTE.

I’ve just tested the new build and it works!!!

Sharad, you and your team are amazing! Thank you and please forward my thanks to those who worked on this!

Haha, just when I was starting to lose hope, thanks a lot for not giving up on us :slight_smile:

So, next, how can I set this up so I don’t have an unlocked phone anymore? (some apps require android not being unlocked)

Thanks again and have a nice day!

• Frank
1 Like

Great - thanks for testing and being patient :slight_smile:. Credits go to @robert :slight_smile:.

We will have to wait till our next official release for that. SW7 was released just now and we are in the middle of code transfer - hence might take some time for the next build. Hopefully this is not a big issue for you.

Thanks @Sharad and @robert, the new fix works on my phone too :slight_smile: Finally I can have mobile data again!

Faith

2 Likes

Hello Teracubers,

I already posted these info on another board, but I thought it would be pertinent in this thread also. Please, forgive the redundancy.

Note that this is a possible solution aimed more specifically at Teracube 2e users.

For those using Telus/Public Mobile network in Canada, this is the workaround I used to make my data work:
- bought a second SIM card (in my case Freedom Mobile);
- installed new SIM card in my brand new Teracube phone
- go to: Setting/Network and Internet/Mobile Network
- under TELUS tab, tap Advanced/Access Point Names (last item in the list)
- tap the “Plus” (+) icon in the right hand corner next to the magnifying glass
- go to the following address and enter the respective settings:
https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Faqs/115015507048-How-do-I-configure-APN-settings-for-my-Android-on-Public-Mobile-

• make sure all settings are replicated without any typos
  • restart phone
  • connect to your data

Et voilà. You should have access to Internet through your data!
I want to thank Sharad and Mark for their precious help.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Follow up to Lee’s nice follow up comment for Future Readers,

I also had to setup a Teracube 2 with Public Mobile, but I didn’t need another SIM card to get the data working; the other steps that Lee described are perfectly accurate though.

Take care

- Frank

Hi @franknarf8 - if you did not use a 2nd SIM, then how did you get data working?

Well, I only popped the SIM in and it worked; I had access to the add APN page with the Teracube 2 (which I did not have access too with the old Teracube).

Just popping in to +1 on the steps @Lee provided. I was in a bit of a panic, but I got Public Mobile’s data working, didn’t even have to reboot the phone! Thanks!

And reading this thread warms my heart, amazing support @Sharad and the Teracube team! Loving the phone so far! Will spread the word around, lots of my friends are curious about it!

2 Likes