My phone has begun displaying some weird hardware and performance issues. Random little ones have been stacking up for months. Every time I get used to one, it seems like a new one pops up that I have to learn to deal with. Almost all of these issues have lasted through updates and completely fresh installs of the software.
- As of android 11, for some reason, facebook messenger message searches are broken. I can perform the search, but only a tiny section of each chat loads. I reverted to android 10 for a bit recently while trying to install magisk, and that problem wasn’t present! When I first installed 11 again, facebook’s chat heads were active (rather than system bubbles), and the problem didn’t occur then, either. It immediately started again when the phone caught up and activated system bubbles. I don’t know if this is an issue in android 11 or the phone itself.
- Sometimes, when opening or in the middle of using apps that host videos (e.g. tiktok), my display will first freeze, and then start flashing rapidly. The app itself is what flashes on and off, and I can see my wallpaper behind it as it flashes. Sometimes I can manage to restart the phone to stop it, but most of the time I have to pull the battery out to get it to turn off. This happens maybe once or twice a week.
- I get dialogs constantly that the app I’m using isn’t responding, despite it working fine. I can dismiss these and keep using the app every time. Very rarely will an app actually crash.
- Very recently, within the last week or two, my phone has begun randomly restarting itself in my pocket. I listen to a podcast on my phone while I’m at work, and have for months now, and only within this last little bit has it started to randomly restart while I do that. It also restarts randomly while charging, and oddly enough while not plugged in on my nightstand or other side of my bed at night.
- Sometimes, when I turn my screen off and back on, it won’t respond to my touch to let me unlock it. I have to set it down and wait a bit, and then try again. It takes at most a minute, but this is still annoying.
I’m definitely not considering switching phones, because I need the repairability of this one, but this is driving me up the wall.