[ How-To ] Access Files Over USB

For security reasons, your phone will not share files over a USB connection by default. To allow a connected computer to access your phone’s filesystem, follow the steps below:

1. Plug your phone into a USB-C cable, and connect the other end to a computer.
  2. Tap the “Android System” notification saying “Charging this device via USB”
  3. Tap the circle beside “File Transfer”.

Alternatively - once the USB cable is connected
  1. Open the Settings App on your phone.
  2. Select the “Connected Devices” section of the Settings App.
  3. Select the “USB” option at the top of the screen. If “USB” is not available, make sure the cable is firmly connected to the phone and to the computer. The option is only present when a USB connection has been established.

After activating the “File Transfer” option, your phone should become available as a USB Mass Storage Device on the connected computer.

2 Likes

Is there any way to enable data transfer without access to the touch screen for those of us with broken phones who’d like to recover files on the internal hard drive before doing a factory reset?

If not, what it be possible to include an option to remember trusted USB connections in a future software update?

I believe you can do that via one of the Developer Option. However, I am not sure if this helps with a broken phone.

My 2e will connect just fine to a computer (Windows 7), but it won’t recognize a USB thumbdrive. What’s the problem? I’ve turned on developer options and set the default USB connection for file transfer. Any hints as to why my phone isn’t seeing the drive?

Thanks

Q!

1 Like

Welcome!

If you are using /e/OS, there is currently an issue preventing USB Host/OTG from working.

The /e/ team has an issue and is tracking this fix for an upcoming release.

Thank you for taking the time to reply! At least now I know I’m not crazy!

Q!

1 Like