Updating to Android 12

I’d like to try updating my Teracube 2e (emerald, I believe) running /e/ from Android 11 to Android 12, but have a couple questions about how to do that.

1-I see a Beta Android 12 version that was released, but is that what I want? It seems like there should be a Android 12 final version [Certified] without the Beta by now. I couldn’t find anything about that though, only the post that the Beta Android 13 has been released.
2-I’m trying to follow the instructions @Sharad put at the start of this post [Final Beta] Android 12.1 for Teracube 2e (both batches). Which says 1. Download the upgrade zip file directly on the phone (or transfer the zip to the phone).
Emerald link (SN:2021)
Zirconia link (SN:2020)
2. Goto Settings > System > Teracube Updater
3. Click top-right 3 dots > Local update
4. Tap “Internal storage” and browse to Downloads or wherever you transferred/downloaded the update zip file.
Note 1 : If Internal storage does not show anything, then reboot the phone.
Note 2 : Do not download the update to SD card.
5. Select the file and continue the update process.

My issue is with Step 2-I don’t have an option for Teracube Updater from Settings>System. Is there somewhere else I can find the Teracube Updater, or another way of upgrading Android?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Android 12 was superceded by Android 13, and they have said that an updated certified version of 12 is unlikely, as per the last message in the Android 12 post.

The available Android 13 beta has the same general bugs noted for Android 12 regarding wireless calling and hotspots, but they’re trying to get the fixed up version certified as they believe they’ve solved them and want it available. That was posted about 2.5 weeks ago, but if you’re wanting to update to a newer test-level version, the strong recommendation is to go to Android 13 rather than 12.

Regarding the crux of your question though - You did go to Settings → System, clicked on Advanced to expand to show the full set of options, and then Teracube Updater was still missing?

Thanks for the response, @Maymne . I didn’t realize I could go from 11 straight to Android 13 and skip 12. The wifi calling and hotspot issues are important enough for me that I’ll have to wait until there’s a final, certified version of Android 13 released.

While I wait though, hopefully I can figure out the issue with Teracube Updater. When I go to Settings>System and click on Advanced, it expands and lists microG, Gestures, Date & time, Reset options and Multiple users, but that’s all. There’s no listing for Teracube updater.

Any ideas for another way to update or someplace else to look for Teracube Updater?

Ah right. You’re on /e/ not standard Android. To use the Android 12 (Beta) or Android 13 (Beta for now, stable hopefully soon) releases, you’d need to follow the directions to get back to healthy stock Android 11, which should return the Teracube Updater to your list. As /e/ has the R release which is also Android 11, it’s up to you whether you’d want to return to stock Android 11 now and try to migrate the data you add over the next short while, or whether you’d go straight to Android 13 when it’s out. In either case, there’s probably going to be a factory-reset experience at some point when moving from /e/ to standard Android.

[Teracube 2e] Instructions to Install Factory Software and to Reset - Guides - Teracube Community (myteracube.com)

1 Like

Ahh, sorry I missed this response and just created a new post about the Teracube Updater issue.
If I’m understanding your post correctly then I’d need to essentially leave /e/ and go to stock Android 11 which would add the Teracube updater to my Settings>System screen. Then I’d be able to update to stock Android 13. I don’t think I want to do that, but am I at least understanding that correctly?

Otherwise, I’m complaining in the wrong place and I should probably move my questions/gripes to the /e/ forums and see if they can offer advice on updating from Android 11?

Thanks for the help and if I’m understanding correctly, I’ll remove my question about Teracube Updater.

2 Likes

Correct. For /e/ you’d need them to change from the R (11) branch to S (12). Both their stable and dev releases for both Teracube 2e (Zirconia and Emerald) are on the R branch. The 13 that is being developed here is for stock (Googled) Android, but after stock is stable, /e/ might take the new device tree and test it against their S branch.

3 Likes

Alright, thanks for helping to get me straightened out with this. At the moment I don’t have any real need to update the version of Android, so I’ll hold tight as is. Hopefully /e/ does release an updated version in the semi-near future.

2 Likes