[ Advanced ] Teracube 2e Screen Repair Guide

Read before proceeding

1. These instructions are applicable for the display screen part that comes with the mid-frame assembly (almost all screens shipped after May 2022). If you are not sure whether your part came with mid-frame or not, please contact us to confirm.

2. Here is a reference to the old article just in case you received the part without the mid-frame.

1. Note: The process is pretty involved and can be tricky for new users. It is advisable to use a local repair technician for the process.

New: Check out the freshly minted repair video - Teracube 2e Screen Repair Video - YouTube

Please post your queries below if any.

1. Remove the battery cover and battery.
    New Project

2. Peel up the information sticker.
    New Project(1)

3. Unscrew all the screws on the upper and lower board covers.
    UnscrewCovers

4. Remove the upper and lower board covers.
    RemoveCovers

5. Heat the display (optional for easier repair). A heat gun can be used, or a heated plate with controllable temperature, for example, the heated bed of a 3D printer.

6. Release the latches holding the ribbon cables in place on the motherboard and charging board. To release the latches, use a thin object to push upward on the connector where the cable enters it. It should flip up on a hinge, releasing the cable to be pulled out freely.
    2eRibbonConnector

7. Unseat the display ribbon cable and charging cable from the motherboard. Unseat the other end of the charging cable from the charging board.
    UnseatRibbonCables

8. Disconnect the antenna cable from the charging board at the bottom.
    DisconnectAntenna

9. Remove the logic board and charging port. The logic board is attached with adhesive and can be removed with gentle upward pressure at one edge. Mild heating may help to release the adhesive.
    RemoveChargingPort

10. Remove the speaker.
    RemoveSpeaker

11. Remove the microphone cover.
    RemovevMicCover

12. Unscrew all of the motherboard mounting screws.
    UnscrewMobo

13. Unseat the flex cable for the buttons.
    UnseatButtons

14. Disconnect the flex cables for the cameras.
    UnseatCameraCables

15. Remove the vibration motor.
    RemoveVibrator

16. Unplug the proximity sensor.
    UnplugProxSensor

17. Remove the cameras.
    UnseatCameras

18. Remove the front speaker.
    RemoveFrontSpeaker

19. Remove the flex cable for the buttons from the frame.
    RemoveButtonRibbon

20. Reassemble the phone in the reverse order on the new screen frame.

1 Like

Thank you for posting this! Step 7 I think has an error - that’s the charging board, isn’t it? Or maybe there’s a different name, but I don’t think that is the motherboard

1 Like

Some more details for people who haven’t done this before. I will update this as I go, because right now I’m a bit unsure of a few things

I would suggest a reordering of the steps. and a few notes along the way.
4 (just look for places to pry and be patient…)
5. Be surgical. First focus on the small board on the bottom of the phone, which is what the next steps are focused on. Don’t over do it - try to work the parts a bit and you’ll feel them loosen as heat is applied. I’ll mention everywhere below I think heat was useful.

BOTTOM OF PHONE

7- This is from the daughter board/charging board, not the motherboard. The smaller, simpler one at the bottom of the phone with the charging port.
NEW. Remove the ribbon cable from the charging board (I think - I did). To remove any of the ribbon cables, you have to lift the clip that clamps the cable down. I’ll see if I can take a good image.
8- Remove the logic board. It’s attached with adhesive, so this is where the heat gun/blow dryer is handy. Be careful, but rest assured that the bottom surface of the board is flat, so you can carefully wedge something under there (you don’t want to scratch it though)
10- That microphone cover sits overtop the mic component on the daughterboard and lives inside that little recess in the frame. It’ll make sense when you see it.
17- Remove the front speaker CAREFULLY. Mine kind of came apart. You have to pry it. There’s a little metal frame, and then a sticker membrane that conceals a copper coil. Mine totally came apart, hopefully it works. I’m curious how this thing works - there was no wire to it! I’ll add an image later.
NEW (maybe)- Peel off the cable that attaches both boards. Use heat again (I used a blow dryer). It looks like they removed it in the images above, so maybe the replacement screen doesn’t come with this cable.

TOP OF PHONE (Motherboard side) - I haven’t done this yet. I am waiting for the replacement screen to arrive. I wanted to take the bottom bit apart to assess some damage to make sure it really was just the screen (I crushed my phone pretty violently under the lid of a car’s trunk :grimacing: ). I’ll update this when I can!

I think these are how I’d order the remaining steps, though.

18 (maybe here? Seems like a continuation of 13)
9 Normal ‘ear’ speaker now. Probably be careful with this one too.

Images coming! (edited - the auto bulleted list clobbered my suggested order)

1 Like

Ooops.

Note to future readers. Pay close attention to this part of @robert 's post:

These instructions are applicable for the display screen part that comes with the mid-frame assembly (almost all screens shipped after May 2022). If you are not sure whether your part came with mid-frame or not, please contact us to confirm.
Here is a reference to the old article just in case you received the part without the mid-frame.

As of October 22, Teracube is still shipping the old screen type as well. So those instructions may be relevant.

Managed to get up and running and I guess I learned how to disassemble the whole phone too, for kicks :slight_smile:

You are correct - we have the old stock in Canada. Everywhere else it is the new type of screens.

1 Like

Just added youtube video link to the article