[Advanced users] How to install Lineage (or any) GSI on T2e

Note: These instructions have not been tested on the 2022 batch of Teracube 2e. Read more here.

Here are the instructions to install any GSI on 2e. I was able to install and boot Lineage but have not done extensive testing.

Download an ARM64 AB gsi to your computer. It may or may not have Gapps.

1. [ Advanced ] Unlock the Bootloader
  2. Power off your Teracube 2e
  3. Hold volume up + power until a menu appears on your phone
  4. Press volume up until the arrow points to recovery mode
  5. Press volume down to select. You should enter recovery mode in few seconds.
  6. Press volume down until “Enter fastboot” is highlighted
  7. Press power to select and enter fastboot
  8. Run fastboot flash system /PATH/TO/GSI.IMG
  9. Run fastboot -w to wipe your phone
  10. Press reboot system now on your device
  11. You should now boot into your GSI.

If lineage complains about some permissions, then do a simple setup and do a factory reset after that to start from a clean slate.

Update: A user posted steps on how to get the 3.5 mm jack working.

If something fails, you can always go back to factory by using [Advanced] Installing factory Android image w/ SP Flash

13 Likes

Just did this successfully! A couple notes that may be helpful:

1. I think Step 8 and 9 might be backwards.
  2. In my case, I got an error when trying flash that said “not enough space to resize partition”. It worked after I used the following command: fastboot delete-logical-partition product.
  3. I used system-roar-arm64-ab-floss.img from here.

Haven’t tested much yet but here’s what I’ve got so far:

WORKING FOR ME:

• WIFI
  • Both Cameras + Flash and Flashlight
  • Speakers
  • Bluetooth Headphones
  • Vibrate functions
  • GPS
  • Fingerprint reader for unlock

NOT WORKING FOR ME:

• 3.5mm Headphones (no sound thru headphones, sounds plays thru speakers)
  • Rounded top right+left corners are a bit tight (this is possibly adjustable, just couldn’t figure it out on my first try)
2 Likes

on the stock rom if you set the display size to the smallest setting the top corners get super tight also so maybe lineage is using that same setting. and ughh the headphone jack not working might be a killer some people use that a lot. what about volte is that working?

Good note, I will look around in the settings to see if that’s possible on here!
I’ve got a research paper due soon so that’s taking up a lot of my time, but I will be testing more tomorrow. I may put an Android 10 ROM on to see how that goes instead of Android 11. I haven’t even put a SIM in yet, not trying to use this as my primary phone until I know it’s stable.
Also worth noting: the ROM used was an AOSP GSI, not LineageOS.

id like a vanilla 11 rom or something like a pixel rom but ill prob try lineage also. i wasnt a huge fan of it on the old phone i had it on though

After entering this command, my phone began to boot into fastboot. It doesn’t matter what gsi firmware I used. Only “Installing an Android image w / SP Flash” helped bring the phone back to life !!

Did the original instructions not work for you?

Yes, Sharad, your instructions did work for me. Thank you.
And I would like to add something from my attempts to install different gsi images.

Successful installation and boot:
Havoc-OS-v3.12-20201230-Official-arm64-ab.img.xz
Lineage-17.1-20210321-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bvS.img.xz

Too big for our system partition (I guess anything bigger than 2GB):
DotOS-v5.0.0-1-GsiTestProjects-arm64-ab-Vanilla.img.xz
Fluid-arm64-ab-vanilla.img.xz
lineage-18.1-20210317-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bvS.img.xz
Nusantara_v2.5.1-11-arm64-ab-Vanilla-GsiTestProjects.img.xz
system-roar-arm64-ab-floss.img.xz

Bootloop:
Havoc-OS-v4.1-AB-11-20210129-ShadesOfDeath.img
Corvus_v9.0-EndGame-arm64-ab-vanilla.img.xz (installed but infinite booting)
Corvus_v14.0-Ruinous-treble_arm64_ab-16022021-Unofficial-0706.img.xz
OxygenOS-11-GSI-AB-ProjectTrebleRom.7z

1 Like

dang thats a bummer i was hoping to test lineage 18 and a couple others before i ordered one (my daughter has the 2e) looks like there is a way to use gparted to adjust the size of the system partition you will loose a a bit on the other side though. there were some reports of this with lineage 16 also i saw. and it took simply adding 2mb to the size

so with lineage 17 can you tell us what is or is not working? does volte work? thanks

Followed directions and this is what I get… every time with different GSIs. WTF am I missing?

sending sparse ‘system’ 4/10 (262140 KB)…
OKAY [ 11.711s]
writing ‘system’ 4/10…
FAILED (remote: Operation not permitted)
finished. total time: 56.439s

Not sure. Did you revert to factory software and try again?

Yes, able to revert back to factory software every time. Still get same results with different GSIs. Are there additional steps/softwares needed that’s not in the guide? Running Ubuntu 20.04, installed latest Android Studio (SDK 11 and 10) also adb & platform-tools installation via terminal.

I read somewhere on these forums that another user who was running Ubuntu said to use Google’s adb tools instead of the Ubuntu ppas. Something about the canonical adb packages being old. Maybe try that.

1 Like

Hello everyone!
Howto fix audio jack 3.5:

1. you have root.
  2. you have file manager with root rights.
  3. open file /etc/prop.default and add this string:

persist.sys.overlay.devinputjack=true

1. Save&Reboot
  2. Profit

p.s. at least it works for me

2 Likes

PPA removed and installed Google’s Platform Tools. Same results.

Do you have access to a Windows 10 pc to try this out?

Thanks a ton. Other users - please post if these work for you.

Thanks, using Windows 10 does work. Tried variety of GSIs and they beautifully ran. What I noticed… the fingerprint setting seems missing even in factory software. Currently and comfortably running System Roar Arm64 AB FLOSS.

Sorry - can you clarify what you mean by fingerprint setting missing even in factory software? The fingerprint scanner works in the factory Android 10 and I think a user mentioned that it works in one of the GSI as well.

Fingerprint Scanner is not in the settings. Hence, missing in any GSI including 2e factory.