Android 10 security update outdated since November 2020

I can understand your concern here. We do not want to hide the fact that we are a small startup and are still figuring out our way through the software updates process controlled by Google. It should get way smoother and quicker once we do it 1-2 times.

5 Likes

I would also be interested to get a better understanding of what us Teracube 2e users can expect in terms of security update availability. I think I have read on the Indiegogo site that you are planning to issue new security updates quarterly, which would be totally fine with me, it doesn’t necessarily have to be monthly, as long as we get regular updates for years to come. Thanks!

P.S.: the 2e is a great phone and provides a complete smartphone experience, but with a good conscience.

1 Like

Bonjour,
Je comprends que vous n’avez pas les moyens des grandes constructeurs de téléphones, mais si vous ne pouvez pas mettre à jour ces patchs de sécurité, mettez au moins à jour vers Android 11 et le problème sera réglé.

I am curious about the 3 year security update. When does the countdown start?

I assume that everyone is getting all the updates so is the sale of the last 2e phone when the countdown starts?

Is 3 years what we can expect or do you have plans of continued releases?

I also think that it’s important to differentiate between updates and security updates. Security updates are very important for obvious reasons while general updates aren’t very interesting to me.

My general approach to repairability is to buy at least 5 of the same phones. Then when each breaks it’s used for spare parts. However security updates becomes a long term problem.

2 Likes

Tout à fait d’accord avec vous… bien distinguer les mises à jour de Google Play, des applications, et des mises à jour des patchs de sécurité mensuels

Still missing any Security-Patch. That is not what I have expected from Teracube.
It’ s time to get it fast.

You can install the Beta SW13 that has the March security patches. We expect to have it rolled out officially in a month or less.

Should those of us who bought the original Teracube just accept that it is not going to be updated? I need to go buy a new phone this weekend because my IT consultant jumped all over me for the lack of security updates. The last security update was May 2020. I understand about Covid and all that, but software is not a location-specific activity so it sure seems like the priority has been the selling of a new phone, not the honoring of commitments on the phone that got Teracube started. Once I buy a new phone my Teracube will get sent to the old phone drawer, this pretty much destroys the sustainability factor and makes the cost of the phone very steep due to the short lifetime.

Hi @Debra - I fully understand your concern and apologize for the long time we have taken. Our software team has been hard at work getting code ready for Google’s CTS testing. Doing it the first time by ourselves has been tricky. We are making constant progress though.

If security updates is all you need, then installing the latest Beta 1.2 will work. Its almost the final build, has March 2021 security patches, and has been flawless for me - I have been using it for more than a month.

One more thing. Our devs have merged the code base for T1 and T2e and are hoping to churn out builds for both together in a few months timeframe. So yes, we are fully committed to both phones.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply Shard. I still support Teracube and your mission. I knew the risks when I choose to support the project on Kickstarter. I was caught off-guard when the IT guy pointed out the lack of security updates on my phone. Even if I need to get a new phone for work I am still a supporter. I am waiting for them to get back to me about the beta build.

1 Like

Hi,

until now I’ m still missing any security updates. SW 13 seems not very good (SIM-Card) and any other Beta is not for EU-Use. Overall, it is very disappointing.

We were very close to getting SW15 Google certified - but got some errors with the certification. Should have something going pretty soon. Once we have the Rest of the World build, we will get a build compiled for the EU as well.

Now it’s April '22 and there are no security updates for android 10 on my 2e for EU use.
Many thanks. This was my first and my last phone from teracube.

Hi @pepilo - Please install this latest Android 11 build. We have not made it automatic update yet but its fully stable and certified. (Automatic update will be released in a few weeks).

1 Like

Still waiting for updates

Hi @svedise We know the updates are taking longer than expected, but a new update will be out sooner!

Regards,
Aryan

Yes sooner in Year 2030 :rofl:

Hi @Matrix the update will be released in next few weeks. Stay tuned :slight_smile:

I understand the frustration and the lack of hope. If you guys keep stating things and don’t deliver, it’s no wonder that Matrix joked about sooner being in 2030.

Security patches are extremely important, and Teracube have decided to concentrate on an Android 11 release that the developers are struggling to get working smoothly enough to confidently release it via OTA, all while leaving the Android 10 users without much needed support and security patches.

I have been hearing promises of 4 years of updates and support, and how the Android 11 version will be released in a few weeks.

Frankly, I have given up hope. Actions speak louder than words, and people are starting to see that Teracube is just not delivering on their promises.

I wish you great success, but believe that in order to do so, something needs to be done about the lack of delivery. How about releasing the much needed security updates that we have been asking for? Or even the Android 11 OTA without bugs (Camera app issues and battery drainage complaints among others)?

You cannot expect your entire client base to be able to flash thier phones and manually load Android 11 by themselves? I did not purchase this phone as a developer phone. Not everyone is tech savvy, and rely heavily on Teracube to supply timely updates and security patches via OTA

Hi @Maiku I understand your frustration regarding updates, I know you’re desperately waiting for updates and want it to available by FOTA ( fully-over the air). I want to assure you that a new update is already under progress and you might see it in few weeks, also the possible fixes for camera, battery life and performance optimizations are made. Regarding your concern about 4-year updates, yes we’re trying to fullfill it and as I said a new Android 11 will be available in few weeks, we’re working on something more too for Teracube 2e’s, Stay tuned for more :slight_smile:

Regards,
Aryan

1 Like