[Beta 2] Android 13 for Teracube 2e

Yes I believe mine is also showing signs of this, requiring a hard reboot at least once a day. Will not come to life after in my case listening to headphones while playing an app on the phone but still pleased with the upgrade.

1 Like

Additional note. Shifted my version of Magisk over the weekend and the issue where Webkit breaks on reboot has left. I no longer need to shift Webkit from stable to beta (despite both having the same version number) or back after reboots to make Webkit items load.

Stock Canary with Shamiko had the issue on our Android 13 beta (didn’t happen on 11) but Kitsune without Shamiko (it’s detected by apps due to the module loading changes) doesn’t have the issue anymore. Guessing it might be caused by the sdcard loading issue where the card only comes up after needing multiple reboots, but as long as Kitsune gets updates at least irregularly I’ll be fine with that transition.

1 Like

I trust you, the Team of Teracube, are vigourously working on a next beta or stable release.
I’m letting you know that my Uber app stopped. working with the message that the device can’t be verified (after an update). Probably because it’s not a verified OS.

3 Likes

We’re also eagerly awaiting /e/OS to be derivable from a stable Android T release :nerd_face:

1 Like

One note is that in Android 13, Google will temp-stealth-uncertify your device if their Google updates are out of date.
Settings → Security → Google Play system update.

Make sure everything is updated and there’s a decent chance your Uber app should start working again. Remember to check again after it updates since it only does one component per reboot and I’ve seen it take half a dozen update cycles (including the reboots) or more when I haven’t gone in there for a few weeks.

6 Likes

Rooting this new android version still requires the linked procedure, i take it?

([Guide][Advanced users only] Root for Teracube 2e (2nd batch, SN:2021) (emerald))

1 Like

Looks like that should work. Of note, if you were previously using methods or modules to force basic SafetyNet, Google has transitioned away from that now… so unless you’re passing Device Integrity, your device certification will fail now. No more basic-only certification and tapping with rooted beta is more painful or luck-based.

2 Likes

No more 13.0.2 for me currently… phone hard-crashed this morning with a 30 second hard reboot in the pre-validation (~20 seconds on the lock, 5 seconds unlocked, 5 seconds black, repeat). Tried all sorts to recover, including reflashing the boot, but nothing solved it. Finally tried to flash back to stock 10.0.6 using the automated system, but it complained about that too:
Check Storage Life Cycle: STATUS_STOR_LIFE_EXHAUST(-1073545187)

Using the manual spflash method and unchecking storage cycle in options allowed my phone to flash 10.0.6 and boot again. Now I just need it back on 11.0.4 and start reinstalling apps slowly. Ugh.

2 Likes

I would suggest using the unit for a few days to see if it is stable. Might need a warranty replacement if the storage is giving way.

2 Likes

Any Android apps to show estimated writes left or storage health or any similar info similar to CrystalDiskInfo on Windows? There’s of course something that made spflash trigger the angry warnings, but nothing was clearly stated in any useful way.
It’s survived a few reboots and upgrades and flashes since the start of the morning without anything super-obvious showing up, but that doesn’t mean something isn’t in the process of flaking out.

1 Like

This is a not fun problem space…

Requires root:

1 Like

To make it less fun, it appears that mmc-utils aren’t included in Android builds and, except for one github last updated five years ago, aren’t easy to add and build for yourself in a functional way. And our certified builds can’t mount debugfs to read it that way either. Ah well. Guess I wander along until my exceeded estimate becomes exceeded actual and stops booting entirely. Whee.

On a more positive Android 13 note for other people, my charging on Android 11 is back to not supporting high-powered chargers even with the ACC module installed, so I’ve removed my ACC module and am back to just using the 11.0.4 charge limit support. In other words, solving the hardware limitation of the missing USB-C capacitator should be a feature everyone gets without needing root once Android 13 is certified. Yay.

2 Likes

Dear Teracube team, is there any news on a stable release or maybe a new beta for Android 14?

1 Like

Please don’t encourage them to start another Beta, before Android 13 is on a stable version, thats going to update OTA.
EU-Users that want or need to run a stable version are still on one of the first Android 10 versions. Because there where various issues with the later Android 10 Versions, Android 11 came never out of Beta before work on Android 12 started and that was also never finished, because work on Android 13 started.
Please don’t continue that circle any further. I know, it is very nice to start playing with new things, but please, i would like to see a stable version soon.

4 Likes

These bleeding edge updates are bleeding my trust and taxing my computer skills that I barely possess. If I have to keep fixing my updater to push on, it may be time for me to move on.

I’m an end user. Please keep that in mind.

3 Likes

Currently, testing and work continues for the Android 13 version for both zirconia and emerald.

5 Likes

Are you able to tell how soon release might be, or is it still in a stage where it’s hard to tell?

2 Likes

No firm date yet, unfortunately.

There are a large number of fixes the team is working on rolling into this release.

4 Likes

I installed the first link (SN 2021 means serial number 2021XXX I assume)?

It confirms local install of firmware and then says it will do it in background… and nothing hours later.

The about screen still says Android 11. Am I missing something?

1 Like

Welcome!

Correct, 2021xxx serials are also referred to by their platform name “emerald”. Zirconia, if you see it, is the 2020xxx units, and ruby is the One.

Do you have a utility like Caffeine to keep the screen awake and the updater on top without being interrupted? Sometimes that helps.

1 Like