[Need testers] - Android 11 Alpha for Teracube 2e

** This test build is no longer applicable and is not supported. Please do not install this version **.

** Warning **

1. Please backup your data before proceeding. You will have to restore your data from Google backup.
  2. This is a test build. While it may function as expected, keep an eye out for issues!
  3. Not for the faint-hearted. This is Alpha software. If something goes wrong, you might have to re-flash using SP Flash Tool (SPFT). This build may only be flashed using SPFT. To restore previous builds, you will need to use SPFT as well; see below.
  4. Few apps might not be available in the App store like Netflix, Disney+ (this is due to the build not yet certified by Google), and others such as Google Pay may not work.

We have an initial Alpha version of Android 11 for Teracube 2e.

Update Nov3, 2021 - This is now the latest Alpha version5. Link is updated below. Same steps to install.

Known issues

1. Fingerprint does not work
  2. Build is not certified yet, apps such as Google Pay and Netflix may not work.
  3. This is a very early build and may contain more issues.
  4. You will require SP Flash Tool to install this, and to flash back to the Android 10 build.
  5. The next Alpha/Beta build will also need SP Flash (can’t be upgraded over the air)

Known goodies

1. Android 11 features
  2. Bluetooth skipping issue fixed (like SW16)
  3. LED blinking behavior is improved and can now be disabled completely.
  4. Sept 2021 security patches

Steps to install

1. Set up SP Flash Tool by following Steps 1 and 2 of this guide.
  2. Download the Android 11 firmware package, extract it to your desktop.
  3. Load the firmware inside SP Flash (see the guide in step one for reference).
  4. Select “Firmware Upgrade” instead of “Download Only”. (DO NOT select “Format all”! Make sure it reads “Firmware Upgrade”).
  5. Power off your phone.
  6. Click the “Download” button in SPFT.
  7. Connect your phone; do not disconnect until the flash process is complete.

Steps to revert to Android 10
Follow this guide with a small twist - use the “Firmware upgrade” option in SP Flash.

Please post here if you are up for testing. Let us know how it went and post your questions/feedback here.

2 Likes

Alrighty… Got this installed last night after some issues with the driver. Went to use Maps this morning and noticed that it never asked for location permission, so when I went to navigate I had to manually enable the Location permission for Maps. I don’t recall that ever happening on any other phone I’ve had.

Aside from that it’s been fine so far.

1 Like

Here’s another: I removed the search bar at the top of the home screen but I can’t move the At A Glance to the top (or anywhere at all, actually).

Another: I always set my Display size to Small and Font size to Large. In the camera app, this causes the 3x3 grid setting to be off-centered. Also in the camera app, I don’t see an option to save the location. Only after I manually grant the location permission did the camera save photo location.

1 Like

Thanks @icantremember for all the feedback so far. Seems like location permission is being finicky. We will check out the camera feedback as well.

Here’s another: LTE indicator remains active in the status bar regardless of wifi connection, even when I have the Developer Setting “mobile data always active” set to Off.

1 Like

That would be because of the use of VoLTE (HD calling). It goes away when Vowifi is enabled option “Call over Wi-Fi”.

However, we could look into simplifying these icons in the future.

Ah yes… Initially after setup I got a message that VoWIFI wasn’t working, so I disabled it. I’ve now re-enabled it and the LTE indicator does go away as I expected.

1 Like

I installed the alpha 11 on an EU 2e. Works great so far.
Bluetooth keyboard does not work. It connects and shows up under bluetooth devices, but key strokes do not have any effect. (It does not show up under physical keyboard nor virtual keyboards, either). Bluetooth mouse works perfectly.
I then connected a USB-Keyboard to the 2e. Initially the 2e showed a notification stating that a physical keyboard had connected. But seconds later, the keyboard did not show up under physical keyboards in the settings. Also key strokes do not have any effect. Seems to be a bug with phyisical keyboards.
And of course the finger print sensor does not work (as mentioned in the description).
Otherwise, no issues so far.

Thanks @trader2019 . Do you know if these keyboards were working with Android 10?

Yes, these keyboards worked with android 10 (with the preinstalled android version).

1 Like

After the android 11 update I cannot get any information on battery usage on a per app basis. This makes it more difficult to detect, which app might be using more power. It says something like “no data regarding battery usage”, for what it’s worth.

Overall, the battery life seems ok, though.

I had some problems, when I used a google backup from previous android 10 (battery drain about 1.5 - 2.0 times as fast). When I reverted back to factory settings and then installed some apps freshly, everything seems fine.

Installed Alpha. Almost and phone almost bricked. Phone became unresponsive after install and restored in recovery mode. Back to running prior beta.

What app are you using for checking the battery usage? The battery usage is still being tuned so I wouldn’t be surprised.

@Sharad: I corrected my comment on battery usage, please see my post above (I edited it).

When I wrote “android 11 update I cannot get any information on battery usage on a per app basis”, I meant the battery information available in the settings. Hope this helps.

Can confirm; usage in the battery settings shows “Battery usage information is not available”

Also, where’s the next beta?

The new install is out (V5). The link in the original post is updated with the same installation instructions.

OK, installed last night. Same issue with At a Glance (can’t move it). Same issues with camera (3x3 grid off center when display size small, and no location added to photos unless location permission manually granted).

1 Like

Have reminded the Dev team about the camera and no location issue. Glance might not be easily fixable as it’s coming from Google.

The only “fix” for the issue with “At A Glance” (This is Google! “Let’s do it our way!”) is to use a custom launcher. Might give “Lawnchair” a try. I just read a recommendation for it and it looks quite interesting and customizable.

1 Like