Teracube One Android 10 updates

Thank you so much, Kshitij.

Further insight into these processes is incredibly appreciated, and helps provide some context into what the delays are and what they mean.

Does the unified BSP also net us a newer kernel and other nice goodies? That will be critical for Android 12 and beyond.

I’m glad you’re involved!

7 Likes

Thanks for the info @AgentFabulous

6 Likes

I love all this info! I often just couldn’t figure out the TWRP project because it’s so hard to find info on mediatek for Android development. Thank you so much for this info and your work!

5 Likes

Unified does not entail a new kernel, but nothing prevents us from trying and porting newer kernels. While it is possible, it isn’t top priority since bringing up a new kernel takes time, effort and extensive debugging and manual testing. Upstreaming is still doable, but porting new LTS or even mainline is not something we can do right away. We may consider this later on, once we have some update rollouts in better control. That said, even with the current downstream kernels, they are regularly patched as per Google’s Security Bulletins (STS tests will fail if we miss patches :smile:).

Most devices in terms of Custom ROMs and recoveries are pretty similar, may they be QCOM or MTK. I’d love to look through T1’s existing community work and contribute to it, but it’ll be a while before I can get around to that and get back to T2e TWRP/ROM things. @Gagan is already doing pretty cool stuff on 2e.

5 Likes

Glad to report that our Android 10 build has passed GMS certification :slight_smile:. Read more and install it here.

Kudos to the Dev team, thanks for all Alpha/Beta testers and thanks to all T1 users for being patient.

8 Likes

Well wife and I have upgraded to Android 10. So far seems to be working well. Only one app had a freak out but solved it. Seems to be the same to a bit better on the power usage but I did switch to dark theme now that I have 10. Camera seems to focus better than on 9. As had minor issues scanning QR codes and such in 9. I agree I do like the original start up animation better but not the end of the world as I shouldn’t need to restart to often and it is only the start up.
Blue tooth doesn’t seem to have the connection issues like 9 did but I have only been testing for 2 days. 1 day with blue tooth in car.

2 Likes

Seems to be working well. It is not my daily driver now because I did have to replace while waiting but it’s a good burner or spare.

2 Likes

So far so good for me as well. My only gripe would be the fact that I can’t remove the google search bar and the gigantic date from the home screen. :joy:

Really loving the dark mode and all that jazz, though. Definitely an upgrade overall.

1 Like

I’m preparing to do the Android 10 upgrade.
Will it completely wipe the apps on my phone and start with a fresh OS? Or will it keep everything intact. My largest concern is having to go through all the service I log into with 2FA using Authy/Google Authenticator applications requiring to be changed.
Cheers,
G.

It was just a simple upgrade where everything was maintained. You might have to re-login to a couple of apps but it’s not a fresh start from scratch.

2 Likes

Thanks Adam!

Very easy update and seems to be running very smoothly. Woohoo!!!

1 Like

Same here. Very easy and painless update. Thank you for all of your efforts getting it out!

1 Like

Are there any plans to have this update on our phones automatically? Or we still to wait for long

What is still pending??

El El vie, 4 jun 2021 a las 22:34, Sharad via Teracube Community <community@myteracube.com> escribió:

From my understanding it should be soon. They are making a last min fix for a signal issue. They had said pushing out I think this week over the air but maybe a touch longer to ensure proper connection. But it will be coming. I am testing the latest release it was discovered on. Other wise the release feels pretty great.
Hope that helps.

We have a new 10.0.1 build out.

2 Likes

uh oh. I was at dinner and my phone was acting weird. I was in an app that required location and it wouldn’t pick up my location. Tried closing an relaunching the app a few times and still wouldn’t recognize my location so I decided to restart the phone. I got the teracube logo and was asked to put in my pattern password, after that, black. No response. My phone is dead. Tried powering on and nothing. Tried plugging in and powering on and nothing. Left on charger for a bit and powering on, nothing. When plugged in, led indicator is red. Nothing is working. Any suggestions to get be back up an running? @Sharad probably have a warranty claim coming in fyi, would appreciate an expedition, obviously willing to do the deposit.

Found instructions for recovery mode. [ Troubleshooting ] Recovery Mode

I was able to get the phone to come on with the “reboot system now” option. I am going to test a few things out, will provide an update a little later today after I have some time to observe how the phone is working.

6/28 UPDATE: My phone was showing as 3% once it came to life this morning after the recovery mode boot up. This is weird because when my phone went dead on Friday I remember having roughly ~80% battery, maybe it drained over the weekend sitting idle. Not sure it means anything but I thought it was worth a note.

I got it charged up and input my SIM card in. I did a restart just to get a clean slate with the SIM in and all went well. I then did a shutdown so that I could boot up in recovery mode again and do a wipe of my partition cache because I remember a couple of years ago on my Pixel with having issues after going from one version of Android to another and I found there was a recommendation that after major updates that a partition cache wipe was a good idea to avoid issues. While trying to get into recovery mode again I accidentally just did a regular boot and the phone began it’s normal start up procedures. I got the teracube logo, the pattern unlock request, the teracube logo again then a black screen again with no response. Additionally the phone was plugged in while doing this boot so I got the red LED light again. I tried doing a normal power on again and it wouldn’t boot up. So I did a recovery mode start up and was able to get in like I did earlier this morning (note I did the partition cache wipe at this point) and this time the battery showed 90%. Maybe the wipe will do the trick to keep it from happening again. Anyways it appears this issue I am having is only occurring during boot. I don’t restart my phone often so probably something I can live with for now.

I will be keeping an extra eye on performance and anything weird, more to come.

6/29: UPDATE: Nothing else to report really. Everything seems to be working normally. I haven’t attempted a restart again, might try that today.

7/1 UPDATE: Had to do a restart today after unbearable connectivity on cell network. Same thing, end in a black screen only to be powered on in recovery mode. Absolutely 100% wild to me that no one else has commented. Anyone else having this issue? Teracube trying to reproduce? Something isn’t right with my phone.

Ok the do not disturb isn’t working right. The contacts that I have allowed to bypass the do not disturb. Well no ringing from phone or tone from sms.

2 Likes