2e Impressions and Thoughts with /e/ OS

Next I will order a matte screen protector because that is part of my minimal/non-distraction/calm setup

1 Like

I’ll suggest the one from this post. All other glass screen protectors (including our official ones) have been having a side gap issue.

Hey all,

I’m also a Mint customer who purchased the Tera 2e with /e/ os by default, I’m coming from the iPhone SE 2020 and here were my initial impressions:

PROS:

• OS functions well, visually stunning app icons, really love this as an Apple user
  • Magic Earth: ran it side by side with google maps and turn by turn was spot on
    *Fingerprint scanner is very snappy/responsive, quickly unlocks phone
    *App store has a good selection of apps
  • It’s anti-Google, that’s awesome

CONS:

• I live in a very rural area and Mint does not offer wifi calling/texting for this device, this was the biggest issue for me as I can hardly get any signal at my home at all.
  • Processor has some drag, I noticed it stuttering while playing Jurassic world and scrolling through the YouTube app
  • Camera: app had issues in low lighting and light streaking coming from windows where the sun was shining.
    *Camera: app has a lot of options, that’s fine and everything but coming from Apple, I’d like to be able to just point and shoot and use the extra features if I want, not because I need to in order to get the right shot.
  • Magic earths robot voice is pretty bad, we did get some laughs from it tho.
  • No default password manager??
  • Some apps in the store said they weren’t compatible with my device, only made for older devices.
    *Keyboard: I had to really slow myself down when typing as the keyboard only recognized one finger at a time, never realized I don’t fully remove one finger before pressing another down.

I realize some of the issues above were probably hardware related, but thought the were worth mentioning. I love what /e/ stands for and what they’re trying to accomplish.

About the keyboard app: follow the directions in this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/gaf19n/gesture_typing_aosp_without_opengapps_oneplus_7/, also mentioned at https://community.e.foundation/t/swype-keyboard-for-e/9609 to enable keyboard swipe function. On my device, I didn’t have enough storage space on the partition, I found and deleted the libreoffice viewer apk (since I don’t use this on the phone).
For me, single-character typing is very annoying on the phone.

1 Like

Ahh good to know about Mint and non-WiFi calling. I was visiting friends in upsate NY and had no coverage and no WiFi calling/text while my wife (also on Mint, but using an iphone) could get messages over Wifi…

Wi-Fi calling is noted as an issue with the current release of the unofficial LineageOS build, which it sounds like /e/OS builds are based on. I’m hoping that’s the issue because I also have Mint and rely on Wi-Fi calling since I live in a house with poor T-Mobile coverage.

1 Like

I’ve had some issues with the phone shutting itself down. I am using e/OS so I suspect that is where the issue might be from. I’ve updated to the latest release (0.18) so we will see. Anyone else using the 2e have similar issues?

really was enjoying it… I noticed that when I ordered it the bootloader was locked and had eos on it. Sadly I wanted to mess about with teracubes rom and now put eos back on and I had to unlock the bootloader… locking it results in a error stating that I need a signed boot. is there a way I can do this?

Hi @two - welcome to Teracube forums. Unfortunately - you will have to keep the bootloader unlocked to run /e/ OS. This is because the /e/ OS build is not signed by us.

Thanks for the welcome, when the phone shipped to me with eos it seemed to me the bootloader was locked? or was I just having perception issues ? Also thanks for the work on the teracube I have already shown many colleagues a better path forward.

I am very interested in getting a signed image of e/os on a phone. I hope you can offer signing images for eos in the future.

1 Like

We will definitely check what we can do about this thing as there is a sizable interest in /e/ OS.

2 Likes

was the phone in fact shipped to me with a signed /e/os ?

No - all /e/ OS phones would have bootloader unlocked and /e/ OS not signed by our keys. Otherwise it will not boot. However it does have the original /e/ OS build.

Yes, please ! :pray:
It would be soooooo awesome ! :star_struck:

2 Likes

I just got my 2e with /e/ preinstalled today, and while I was prepared not to be able to charge with USB C to USB C, I cannot seem charge the phone at all, either with Samsung or Apple USB A chargers and a USB A to USB C cable, or by plugging that cable into a (plugged in) laptop USB A port. Am I missing something? Is there any difference between USB A to USB C cables that would affect charging (the one I have is new, but not the specific one from this post). Does anyone have the exact voltage/current values of the Teracube charger that they can share? I’d buy one, but they’re all sold out.

I am currently using a Moto G4 Play that I rooted and installed /e/ on myself, and I am a big fan of the operating system and the partnership with Teracube. I think it’s great that Teracube doesn’t automatically inlcude a charger, except… this is like the one device I’ve gotten in the last decade that actually needed one, so I’m struck by the irony there.

Hey @ecs. I’m using a Samsung EP-TA200 adapter that originally came with my Galaxy S9! The output values on the adapter are 9.0v/1.67A or 5.0v/2.0A. A real Samsung adapter (not compatible) can be had for around $12 on Amazon. Good luck!

Marc

2 Likes

Thanks! So far, I have tried EP-TA12JWE and EP-TA50JWE Samsung chargers, and they do not work.

5V/2A works flawlessly iirc.
I use a Xiaomi charging brick and it works great

I can confirm.

Thanks @Gagan and mcmd - after some back and forth with Tech Support, we think I actually have a faulty USB-C port, so I’m going to exchage for a new phone. Turns out finding a good charger might not be as hard as I thought! It was a frustrating start to using the phone, but at least I hadn’t transferred everything over yet.

I’ll add your chargers to the list I started.

3 Likes