No MMS being sent or received on Fido network (Canada)

Try this howto by a Teracube 2e user. Something similar is also posted on these external forums.

Basically, you need a different carrier SIM which you can add to the 2nd SIM slot temporarily. Then you may be able to add a new APN for Fido which will also show up for the 1st SIM. If that does work, please try either of these APN settings (link1, link2).

Updated guide below here.

Old post

Hello Teracubers,

For those using Telus/Public Mobile network in Canada, this is the workaround I used to make my data work:

Et voilà. You should have access to Internet through your data!
I want to thank Sharad and Mark for their precious help.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks @Lee - this is great news. Could you clarify few steps:

Did you take out the Public Mobile SIM and replace it with Freedom Mobile SIM? Did you use the same SIM slot #1 for both?

Is this with the Freedom Mobile SIM or the Public Mobile SIM? At what point do you go back to Public Mobile SIM?

Hello Sharad,

Q. Did you take out the Public Mobile SIM and replace it with Freedom Mobile SIM? Did you use the same SIM slot #1 for both?

A. No, I inserted the Freedom Mobile SIM card in slot #2 and left the Public Mobile in slot #1.

Q. Is this with the Freedom Mobile SIM or the Public Mobile SIM? At what point do you go back to Public Mobile SIM?

A. Once the Freedom Mobile card is inserted in slot #2, then you go to Setting/Network and Internet/Mobile Network, it creates a new tab for Freedom Mobile and, at the same time, unlocks automatically the APN settings under “Public Mobile” or “TELUS” tab. Then, you can go and edit directly the Public Mobile APN settings.

In other words, the Freedom Mobile SIM card (#2) acts as a key that unlocks the APN settings on the phone related to the data provider of SIM card #1. Once in Setting/Network and Internet/Mobile Network, user can tap on the tab of the provider for SIM card #1, create a new account and enter the relevant information which are going to be applied to the SIM card #1.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer…

2 Likes

Awesome - thanks for the clarifications. Could you modify your original post with some of these points - will be handy for other users.

Hello Teracubers,

For those using Telus/Public Mobile networks in Canada, this is the workaround I used to make data work with my brand new Teracube 2e:

• Bought a second SIM card (in my case Freedom Mobile)
• I left my Public Mobile/Telus SIM card in slot #1, and installed new Freedom Mobile SIM card in slot #2
• Once the Freedom Mobile card is inserted in slot #2, then you go to Setting/Network and Internet/Mobile Network. It creates a new tab for Freedom Mobile and, at the same time, unlocks automatically the APN settings under “Public Mobile” or “TELUS” tab. Then, you can go and edit directly the Public Mobile APN settings
• Under TELUS tab, tap Advanced/Access Point Names (last item in the list)
• Tap the “Plus” (+) icon in the right hand corner next to the magnifying glass
• Go to the following address and enter the respective settings:

• Make sure all settings are replicated without any typos
• Restart phone
• Connect to your data

Et voilà. You should have access to Internet through your data!

In other words, the Freedom Mobile SIM card (#2) acts as a “key” that unlocks the APN settings on the phone for data provider of SIM card #1. Once in Setting/Network and Internet/Mobile Network, user can tap on the tab of the provider for SIM card #1, create a new account and enter the relevant information which are going to be applied to the SIM card #1.

I want to thank Sharad and Mark for their precious help.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hello Sharad,
I tried to edit my original post but could not. So I posted an updated version in a reply to your last message. Feel free to delete the original one to avoid unnecessary duplication.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I’m new to this.

If anything, please let me know and I will add/clarify for the other users.

Thanks and regards,
Lee

1 Like

I am also on the Fido network in Canada and am experiencing issues with sending/receiving photos via text for certain sender/receiver phones. When is the SW update expected that will solve this?

Our update with corrected APNs will need 1-2 months. In the meantime, are you able to try this way?

We put in a Virgin SIM, but we could only edit the BELL APN, the Fido APN remained locked. We created a Fido APN with the settings on the Bell Sim and it had the same problem the Fido Sim has. Using the stock Bell settings it worked fine.

The Fido Internet APN has no settings for the MMS entries, There is a subset for Fido MMS that does have the entries, but they don’t seem to be accessed when the message app is active.

Knowing what to do, we may visit a Telus kiosk and see if we can borrow a Sim for a minute to see if that will unlock the fido apn editor.

1 Like

Tried with the sim cards in the opposite trays, same result, Bell was editable, but Fido stayed locked.

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I just purchased a Teracube 2e for use on Fido network, and am having MMS issues and am unable to edit APN.

I purchased another SIM from another carrier (LuckyMobile, which is on the Bell network; Fido is on Rogers network), as suggested here, but that didn’t unlock the APN.

This link mentions there will be APN changes in the next SW release to deal with this. Have those changes been made? Do I need to download a later SW? I assume a new Teracube would have the latest SW.

Is my only option to try and root the device? Would switching to a different OS (like LineageOS or /e/) work?

Any other options?

thanks

Just did a bit more searching, and it looks like my current SW version is behind (Build number: Teracube_2e_A11_05). I assume that’s SW5, and this link discusses upgrade steps to SW7, which I’ll try. Hopefully that will help resolve the issue.

Hi kjazz,

Has updating to SW7 fix the issue you were experiencing?

No, unfortunately it did not. I’m going into a Fido store to try and get a new SIM card for my account and see if that updates the APNs, which is what Fido tech support suggested.

UPDATE: Nope, new SIM card did not work.

HI @kjazz and @Michael_Jones - the SW5 and SW7 builds for Emerald (SN:2021) do not have the Fido APN change yet. I’m checking with the team if we can prepare a test build.

Hi Sharad,

Any idea on an ball park eta for this build I had these 2 phones since late April and haven’t had the chance to use them due to no volte :frowning:

That would be great, thx

Devs are working on it. I will provide a status update by next week.

A post was split to a new topic: MMS issue on Lucky Mobile (Canada)