[Certified] Android 11.0.2 for Teracube 2e 1st batch (SN: 2020 / zirconia)

Note 1 : There is the 11.0.3 update available now.
Note 2 : This update is for the 1st batch of T2e (SN:2020 / codename:zirconia)

** Warning **

1. Please backup your data before proceeding.
  2. Check Known issues below before proceeding.

Check out the newer 11.0.3 update.

Archive

Here is our 3rd stable and (Google) certified Android 11 for Teracube 2e (1st batch; SN 2020). Major performance improvements, and some quality-of-life and bug fixes included; full list below:

Fixes from 11.0.1

• Added Recorder
  • Fix all outstanding performance issues
  • Update GMS packages
  • Fix reported issue with alarms - switch to Google Clock
  • Add Google Calculator
  • Other misc changes

What works

1. Google Certified - so Google Pay, Netflix, Disney+ all work.
  2. Will work for all regions (US, Canada, UK, EU, Rest of the world)
  3. Bluetooth music and calling, NFC, WiFi, Cellular, VoLTE - all work
  4. Notification LED behavior fixed.
  5. Bluetooth range and music skipping issues should be fixed.
  6. FM Radio and Hotspot are fixed.

Known issues - What does not work yet

1. Not a bug but more of an Android 11 feature. SIM cards can’t be disabled individually for Dual SIM setups.

Steps
Upgrade from 11.0.1/11.0.0:

1. Open the updater app and tap the “Refresh”/Check for updates button [image] in the top-right corner.
  2. You should see a new update to “11.0.1 or 11.0.2 depending on which build you were on”.
  3. Download and Install the update.
  4. If you go to 11.0.1 first, then repeat steps 1-3 for updating to 11.0.2.

Upgrade from Android 10:

1. Download the upgrade zip file directly on the phone (or transfer the zip to the phone).
  2. Goto Settings > System > Teracube Updater
  3. Click top-right 3 dots > Local update
  4. Tap “Internal storage” and browse to Downloads or wherever you transferred/downloaded the update zip file.
    Note 1 : If Internal storage does not show anything, then reboot the phone.
    Note 2 : Do not download the update to SD card.
  5. Select the file and continue the update process.
  6. It will take a while. The phone will power off and restart by itself. Don’t press power button.

Let us know how it went and post your questions/feedback here. Please keep the comments related to this update itself.

If you experience any errors/issues, you can flash SW6 (original Android 10 firmware) using these instructions.

1 Like

My GPS seems to be having issues, I seem to remember that happening under Android 10 and changing a parameter somewher to fix it.
Is there such a fix for this version?

Akku empties still very rapid. I cannot see much of improvement.

Weirdly, my phone background changed when flashing 11.0.1 to 11.0.2, but besides needing three update/flash series to get from 11.0.0 to 11.0.2, no issues. Unrooted before starting in case that might be related to the upgrade fail from 10 to 11.

I have tried to follow instructions for upgrading from 11.0.1 to 11.0.2, but when I install the latest zirconia file, I find that I am just reinstalling the 11.0.1 update. When do you anticipate that these updates to android 11 will be available on an OTA basis rather than as local updates? Perhaps issuing security updates on a regular basis is more important than a series of minor incremental updares to the os.

My guess that the intent was to release Android 11 and only maintain that version going forward. I understand from a developer perspective that you want to release the latest Android version, together with bug fixes, performance and battery life improvements as well as the latest security updates, all in one neat package for all. Less releases to maintain means that the small team does not have to split their time on Android 10 and 11 updates.
However, they seem to be having issues with the Android 11 release as users keep reporting a mountain of issues. So us users who choose to remain on Android 10 until the Android 11 issues are ironed out are left on the backburner while the team is all hands on deck trying their best to deliver a satisfactory Android 11 release. As much as I understand what pressures the team is under, I don’t want to end up with a device that is unusable, either because of bugs or because of the lack of security updates that were promised. I really hope that the team manage to get a stable working release with the latest security updates soon. I really want to keep using my Teracube 2e for years to come. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Try flashing it a few times. Like I said, it took 3 flashes until my phone was fully updated, but when I just gave it a few flash attempts, it worked.

I directly updated from Android 10 to this version and the installation seemed to have gone smoothly. Performance seems a little bit better in general and my tasks don’t seem to auto close when in the background nearly as much!

I do have some annoying issues with the camera. In particular, when I select panorama mode the camera app freezes and when I select scan mode it actually crashes the camera app immediately every time. I don’t care too much about panorama, but no QR code scanning is a bummer because many places now use virtual menus/ordering.

Another weird issue I am seeing appears to be camera/AR related: in Android 10 I was able to sort of use AR in Pokemon Go (camera feed would show, but things would not be positioned relative to the actual environment), but in this update the app freezes if I even attempt to open an AR view. I plan on doing some experimentation to see if I can get the app to at least not freeze.

Hey @tborglum - I’ve found this app to be pretty good in contrast to the stock app. Could you try giving this a go? https://github.com/GrapheneOS/platform_external_Camera/raw/12.1/prebuilt/Camera.apk

Just updated from 10.
Works fine except camera.
Camera app is getting closed in some of the modes. Image quality is poor.

Sure enough - just tried the scan function on the camera app and it froze and crashed. Cycling between other options still works (albeit very slowly), but the minute you select scan it locks up.

Aside from that, it does seem like there are some performance improvements over the first round of 11. Stuff open a bit more quickly, which is nice.

Camera app still buggy, FM radio will not stay open: update to 11.02 today from 10 thanks

Hi @ron77 - welcome to Teracube forums.

Could you try this app - https://github.com/GrapheneOS/platform_external_Camera/raw/12.1/prebuilt/Camera.apk ? We are considering moving to this open source app as our main stock app.

I just tried the FM app. It seems starring any station makes the app crash on all future opens. You can do the following to fix the issue:

1. Goto Settings > Apps & notifications > See all apps > Search for “FM Radio” app > Tap “Storage & cache”> Clear Storage.
  2. Open FM app again

Thanks for the FM fix, saving station will still cause it to crash. But with the work around it will work :grin::+1:t5:

1 Like

I like how the new camera apk responds👍🏾

1 Like

my wife finally updated to this and her screen is constantly just turning itself on not touching it at all. not lifting it not moving it and its always turning on. anyone else see this? any ideas how to stop it? its driving her crazy. she turned off the double tap, and any other things that turn the screen on by itself and it still is doing it all the time.

I am so frustrated. I cannot get update from 10 to 11.0.2 to work using the local file. It is not anywhere. I keep redownloading it and rebooting me phone, but nothing.
I am not super tech smart and I can’t even manage to figure out where my file is downloading to or find any ability to select where it will go.
I have “shown hidden files” and looked through EVERY SINGLE FOLDER on my phone.

Why do I have to be “an advanced user” to update my phone???
It says to use flash if there are issues but when I go to use flash it warns me not to use flash…
I guess I will just never update my phone?
Thanks for an incredibly frustrating and ultimately futile experience.

Also, there is absolutely nothing that says “Internal storage”
So if someone could help me with this, that would be great. If you guys could make up-dates automatic in the future instead of manual, that would be even better and probably what most users expect when buying a phone.

@mastershake - could you take a video of what’s happening and PM it to me. Also, try a soft reset.

6 posts were split to a new topic: How to install manual update?