FM Radio not working on /e/ OS?

I just bought a Teracube 2e 2021 batch, and as far as I can tell, it has no FM reception. There is no app installed for it.

Edit: I have the /e/ version, so they probably have not enabled it in their OS.

1 Like

Does the /e/ version have F-Droid or something similar? If so you can try SpiritF. It should work unless /e/ didn’t enable the functionality at all in their OS.

1 Like

I can confirm that SpiritF doesn’t work on the Murena Teracube 2e (with /e/ OS). I am enquiring about other options.

1 Like

I wasn’t able to get it to work, my phone is not rooted. And I can’t root this phone, because it is from the second batch manufactured.

1 Like

Wait, why can’t you root 2nd batch phones? Have you tried Magisk?

1 Like

/e/ OS doesn’t come with F-Droid installed, but you can install it (and SpiritF) from their app store.

What has to be enabled in the OS in order to make the radio work? Isn’t it purely a hardware issue, isn’t the functionality inherent to stock Android?

1 Like

For some reason, Teracube made changes to the firmware, and chose not to release it as a new model. There is a thread on their forums that explains the matter. They are working on it, so hopefully it can be rooted soon,

3 Likes

I misspoke (misstyped). If /e/ OS removed FM radio functionality by accident or design would have been a better statement. Or the possibility that they never really considered it, therefore didn’t test it to see if their build works with it. I’ve known ROM developers to do this on older phones (like my now dead Honor 5x), not even consider FM radio functionality unless a lot of people complain about it not being available.

2 Likes

I just want to check in with @Sharad about this. Now that there’s an /e/ build for the 2nd batch Teracube 2e, doesn’t that mean that you could do a Magisk root of the phone? To my (admittedly limited) understanding, Magisk works by editing the “boot.img” file found in whatever OS file you have installed. Because the Murena Teracube 2e already has the bootloader unlocked and the /e/ recovery installed, shouldin’t it just work to follow the generic instructions here?

1 Like

Hey, so this is just my 2 cents on the FM Radio issue:

You require a proprietary MediaTek Java Native Interface (JNI) in order to actually connect/interact with the FM radio hardware, and that does not automatically “register” on AOSP which is what /e/ and Lineage use as its base. These can be manually added to AOSP, and what we did internally was to remove such classes that were of no use, but then the entire registration functionality didn’t work at all.
On the unified firmware (11.0.0-11.0.2 for zirconia) we faced the same issue, but then we ported over the interfaces and libraries required successfully, and STILL did not get FM radio working. Turns out, MediaTek requires a few routing quirks to the audio output devices and we didn’t have those hooks.
We then used this patchset https://review.lineageos.org/q/topic:eleven-mtk-fm and got it working on unified. This, in the same way, will be shimmed out and ported to AOSP very soon.

About @ecs 's question, yes you can root with the boot image method.

2 Likes

I just posted the steps I used to root my Murena Teracube 2e (1st batch). If you decide to give the instructions a try with the 2nd batch phone, let me know if it works, or if you need any help.

1 Like

I will give this a try. I will first see if I get a response in another thread, asking if it has been done already

1 Like

I am also missing a lot FM radio! Internet radio disconnects all the time, my browser eventually stops the music, it drains a lot of battery… And on the other hand FM is so simple and lightweight! It’s a lot more resilient and ecological, and local!

Please keep up your efforts on this :smiley:

Btw @Gagan , is there any progress or blocker on this? What does “very soon” mean? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi! It’s been a couple of updates more, is anybody working on FM Radio? I am really missing this feature. Looking for the equivalent online radio is slow and buggy, and consumes so much more energy…
Just to know if I should keep some hope for this or assume we won’t have it :confused:

1 Like

I’ll check internally. Expect a reply here in 2 weeks’ time (primarily due to holidays).

1 Like

cat

any updates?

1 Like

tumblr_n0anroY2bA1rdu90go3_500

I’m using one of these. I wish I could also use my Teracube for that :confused:

1 Like

Have you tried the FM Radio APK someone extracted and shared?

3 Likes

I just did it, thank you!
However, it crashes with

05-15 21:07:54.469 10216 10216 W System.err: java.lang.NoSuchFieldException: No field sHasPermanentMenuKey in class Landroid/view/ViewConfiguration; (declaration of 'android.view.ViewConfiguration' appears in /system/framework/framework.jar!classes3.dex)

and

05-15 21:07:54.558 10216 10216 E AndroidRuntime: java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: dlopen failed: library "/system/system_ext/lib64/libfmjni.so" needed or dlopened by "/apex/com.android.art/lib64/libnativeloader.so" is not accessible for the namespace "classloader-namespace"

Something missing…

1 Like