[Archived - Beta] SW15 for Teracube 2e - please install and give feedback

This is no longer supported. Please refer to SW16 or a newer update.

Details

** Warning **

1. Please backup your data before proceeding.
  2. Not for the faint hearted. This is Beta software. If something goes wrong, you might lose your data and might have to re-flash SW6 using SP Flash software.
  3. Few apps might not be available in the App store like Netflix, Disney+ (this is due to the build not yet certified by Google).

We have another small update over the 2 (SW13 and SW14) that were released in the last 2 weeks. This one will be the last before we get it GMS certified (unless there are any bugs).

Changelog

1. May 2021 Security updates
  2. AT&T certified
  3. Bluetooth streaming/range issue improved.
  4. Blue photos under flash fixed.
  5. Notification shade dropdown issue fixed.

Note1 : This upgrade is only for US, Canada and other non-EU countries.
Note2 : It can be upgraded both over the original factory firmware or SW13/SW14.

Steps

1. Download the upgrade zip file directly on the phone (or transfer the zip to the phone). Note - its a big file.
  2. Goto Settings > System > Teracube Updater
  3. Click top-right 3 dots > Local update
  4. Tap “Internal storage” and browse to Downloads or wherever you transferred/downloaded the update zip file.
    Note 1 : If Internal storage does not show anything, then reboot the phone.
    Note 2 : Do not download the update to SD card.
  5. Select the file and continue the update process.
  6. It will take a while. The phone will power off and restart by itself. Don’t press power button.

Let us know how it went and post your questions/feedback here.

If you experience any errors/issues, you can flash SW6 (original firmware) using these instructions .

2 Likes

Installed on Friday, been using all weekend. :+1:

Notification drawer annoyance is fixed! Yay!

WiFi seems as good as it can be. Tesla’s Bluetooth phone key operation still seems as glitched as ever, even after battery optimization tweaks.

I did a little experimenting with the touch-keyboard-misses-taps issue, and didn’t get terribly far to improving it - but removing the stock screen protector seemed to improve just a tiny bit, if just placebo. It catches about ~ eh ~ 90-95 out of 100 taps, but it really needs to catch 999/1000 taps because the GBoard trends towards correcting wrong taps, not missed taps (so its corrections for missed letters is often wildly inaccurate, taking tons more time to fix). First phone I’ve seen with a “missed taps” issue.

Wonder if maybe the same noise filtering is taking place on battery power that takes place while charging – phones often have to add more aggressive screen-tap filtering when they’re plugged in, due to power supply noise. If the software doesn’t tune the filtering dynamically, that filtering can be overly aggressive while on (clean) battery power. Thought, maybe?

Improving the touchscreen responsiveness would be my next item to want to clean up - you folks have been doing an incredible job fixing things, and I want to give a huge thanks for doing that! :heart: Don’t let my “next on my list” wishlist dampen the praise. Y’all deserve a party - but that party will come when it’s certified and released :smiley:

1 Like

little update:

Bluetooth reception is noticeably improved. Finally had a chance to ride with my BT earbud under the helmet again, and in the exact same scenario (same bud, same phone, same distance, same pocket… everything physically the same), I had no reception/stuttering/dropout issues today running SW15, whereas on SW6 I was struggling with the gamble that Google Maps’ audio navigation would get through uninterrupted in time, or at least in enough intelligible chunks to decode what & when the next turn was. Today, no issues at all - while on SW6, nothing but constant stuttering.

So that’s a significant improvement as well.

1 Like

13 to now 15 and so far so good thanks

Knock on wood this Update is really doing good with this update as of the first full hour even The camera works good knock on desk!

Any issues in calling, internet, etc? Want to make sure everything works great on different carriers.

I don’t use calling much (maybe one or two proper “phone” calls a month) but phone audio pipeline seems fine - haven’t run into any issues with MS Teams phone-to-ear audio calls/meetings/video calls (but Teams is inherently laggy af - even just typing in a chat text field has noticeable lag once it reaches multiple lines). Internet is… fine… whenever I get home I have to turn off WiFi because T-Mobile home internet really hates Androids (housemates have similar issues on Android devices), but it works fine at work.

LTE internet access always seems reliable - no gripes there. I’m on T-Mobile (carrier, not MVNO) and I also have a Ting (T-Mo MVNO I think?) and Red Pocket (AT&T) SIM for backup I can swap in and play with. By off chance, do you know any good HD Voice-enabled test numbers I can call? Never have been able to find a simple “see if audio is HD quality” test, even as much as a call center that’s HD-enabled.

Oh, crap, I should mention one little quirk I observed on a recent call. Volume control. I was on a Teams video call, which uses speaker audio, and I found I couldn’t control the call volume at all. Had it all the way down, and it had no effect. Moved it up and down, didn’t seem to change. Even tried adjusting media volume, couldn’t control it that way either. At the time I didn’t think it might be beta-related, but it’s worth mentioning. Might’ve started off as a phone-to-ear incoming audio call, then transitioned to video - maybe that triggers a glitch?

Works well on Mint Mobile (MVNO, T-Mobile network). Bluetooth issues seem fixed, both Wi-Fi and VoLTE work perfectly. 4G “standard” calls work, I don’t have a way to test 2G or 3G.

1 Like

Camera driver seems to ignore spot-focus commands. Using OpenCamera, if I tap on a spot in a very obviously out-of-focus image, it doesn’t autofocus. It only autofocuses when it feels like it, and ignores my commands to make it behave.

That’s annoying.

Do you remember it working differently on earlier builds?

It’s not a regression, aside from being a regression vs. any other phone model. As here: Autofocus is complete 💩 - blurry photos unless tediusly taken

I’d seriously hope that would be addressed with high priority, given that it makes the camera so nearly unusable to work with in some cases where waving and shaking the camera to get it to trigger a autofocus sweep isn’t an option, and it’s not exactly asking for a rewrite. Just some acknowledgment of the issue would be nice.

I have created an internal ticket for the dev team on this. Will report back once they take a look.

Is it possible that its teams app issue? If it possible for you to test on a different phone?

The camera issue isn’t a Teams thing - not using the Teams app, I’m using OpenCamera since the stock camera app is… well… see that thread where the recommendation was made :wink:

It’s not consistent, for sure - but it’s very frequent. Very much more often than it should (which would be never), I find that I can’t get the camera to trigger a focus on demand - it just focuses whenever it wants, on whatever it wants, and little to nothing you can do to slap it upside the head and say “HEY BLURRYLAND, FOCUS ON THIS”. :wink: Tapping it just flashes the rectangle on the blurry area, flashes green, square disappears, stays blurry. Then, when you’re not doing anything but cursing at the app, the camera decides to do a focus sweep, sometimes gives up and stays blurry (honestly, I feel it sweeps focus way too quickly to be effective), sometimes it works.