Message from AT&T About My Phone Not Compatible?

Just following back up on this since CricKet is pushing this advisory SMS out to customers right now:

3G Network Shutdown

Cricket Wireless is committed to supporting the growth of mobile Internet and providing the best customer experience. As a result, Cricket plans to end service on 3G (UMTS) wireless networks by February 2022. This will allow additional space on Cricket’s mobile Internet network. At that time, Cricket will require all customers to use a compatible HD Voice device for voice-and-data plans or an LTE-capable data-only device for data-only plans. If you currently have Cricket service on an HD Voice-capable device or an LTE-capable data-only device that is compatible with the Cricket network, you will not be impacted by these network changes.

Starting January 19, 2021, Cricket will no longer activate devices that customers bring to Cricket if the device is not HD Voice-capable or an LTE-capable data-only device compatible with the Cricket network.

Current customers:

• Without an HD Voice-capable device need to upgrade to a compatible device by February 2022 and should not move their SIM card to another non-HD Voice-capable device.
  • Who move their SIM card to a device that is not HD Voice-capable will experience an interruption in service. Important: Moving the SIM card back to a non-HD Voice-capable device will not restore service, even if you previously had service on that device. To restore service, you must move the SIM card to an HD Voice-capable device that is compatible with the Cricket network.
  • To determine network compatibility, check your IMEI.

New customers attempting to activate service:

• Can purchase a device sold by Cricket, or
  • Can bring their own HD Voice-capable device, or an LTE-capable data-only device, compatible with the Cricket network.

To determine if your device is compatible with Cricket’s network, check your IMEI.

Checking my IMEI/MEID:

That being said, I have not experienced HD Voice/VoLTE/VoWiFi working on my Android 9 handset, and I’m a bit reticent to SIM-swap to my testing Android 11 one currently to see if they’ve finally turned it on network-wide.

So, from my reading, all ATT/CricKet TeraCube One customers should be fine with the upcoming network change, so that’s lovely.

As of today, their tool no longer shows the Teracube as compatible!

@Sharad, this is big ruhroh.

We are already in the process of getting Teracube 2e certified for AT&T. Once that is complete, we will look into Teracube One as well.

2 Likes

Wonderful!
Thanks so much

Hi @Chris_Schafer - did you have an existing AT&T SIM or were you activating a new one?

Can others with AT&T confirm their experience?

From what I understand for the Teracube_One, as long as your SIM doesn’t move between the incompatible and compatible phones, they won’t lock your service.

If I were to move my SIM to something else and back, my account will be locked.

Since I’ve not moved our SIMs since we got the Teracube_One, we’re okay with service until the cut-off date.

My wife and I also have positively ancient Cricket SIMs, so who knows what that means in all of this.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Cricket wireless issue with Teracube 2e (Update: AT&T is working fine)

4 posts were split to a new topic: Teracube 2e RedPocket AT&T setup

Sound like you should have been doing both phone certifications at the same time.

So will the Teracube 1 get certified with AT&T so that we can update the IMEI number with AT&T and get VoWiFi/VoLTE/HD Voice.

That’s the plan. Hopefully it happens soon for everyone :slight_smile:

1 Like

We will look into T1 certification after Teracube 2e gets certified. The process is stretched out and expensive - so we want to finish 1 phone first which was already underway.

2 Likes

Any news about certification? I’d like to keep the same phone and not have to buy a new one

1 Like

We have been working with AT&T for T1 as well. Its a slow process - waiting to hear back from them on the latest communication.

2 Likes

Following this topic. I also got this notification.

FWIW, my sim was moved from a certified device when I got my One and for several months I had the VoLTE icon and it appeared to be working that way during calls. Eventually AT&T must have figured out I’d moved the SIM to an uncertified phone though, and it stopped working with VoLTE. That was about 6 months ago. Not a super huge deal, but of course it’ll become one next year if they stick to this schedule.

2 Likes

Any update on certifying T1 for AT&T? My cell provider sent an e-mail saying the are turning off my phone in a few weeks due to 3G. If the T2e is certified why not just switch out the T1 phones for a T2e phone.

1 Like

Yeah AT&T said they were mailing me a new phone now, I’m wondering what the progress report on the Teracube 1 certification is now

2 Likes

I wish I could share some timelines on that. Its totally dependent on AT&T. However, we did make some progress last week.

@Tim_Hood @Gatlin_Newhouse - are you on Android 10 or Android 9? There is an issue with the APNs on Android 10 build because of which AT&T is giving 3G instead of LTE.

2 Likes

Android 10 but LTE is working for me

I’m on Android 9. Do I need to update to Android 10?